Status: Minor Part-Time, Non-Exempt, At-Will
Under the direct supervision of the Group Fitness Director and as a member of the Sports & Wellness team, the Spinning Instructor at the Addison-Penzak Jewish Community Center (APJCC) is responsible for successfully instructing spinning classes and implementing member engagement initiatives that align with the core values of the organization. This position serves as a vital role in engaging and retaining members as well as facilitating a safe and effective workout. The instructor is responsible for creating a welcoming environment that inspires members to achieve their fitness goals.
All employees of the APJCC are responsible for creating relationships with the members to add value to their membership and enhance their sense of belonging with the APJCC community.
Key Core Competencies
- Strong commitment to creating a warm and welcoming environment to all members and guests
- Ability to foster strong relationships amongst both members and staff in a professional manner
- Act as a catalyst for members to be engaged at the APJCC in areas outside of fitness
- Experience working with a diverse range of people at various levels of fitness
- Ability to present oneself in large group setting in a professional manner that INSPIRES members
- Understanding of the fundamental skills of physiology and training with ability to implement a lesson program for beginner to advanced participants
- Knowledge of current industry standards and trends in group fitness class programming
- Deliver a high caliber fitness class based on fundamental principles of group fitness class design
- Taking ownership of each class:
- Start and end class at the scheduled, posted times
- Ensure that the studio rooms is kept tidy for the next class
- Secure subs when needed and notify supervisor in advance
- Ability to understand members’ basic fitness needs in a group setting
- Knowledge of fitness certification standards and best practices
- Functional understanding of cardiovascular training, spinning bikes and proper use and form
- Ability to assist participants with achieving their fitness goals while maintaining scope of practice
- Understanding of the programs and services offered at the APJCC outside of the group fitness program
- Ability to respond appropriately in an emergency situation
- Ability to recognize and demonstrate safe use of fitness equipment
- Enforce compliance with all safety regulations among staff and patrons, working to eliminate potential hazards.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.