Core Library Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Adaptability: Adjusts nimbly to obstacles or changing conditions to arrive at the desired goal.
- Communication: Expresses self clearly, effectively, and compellingly in written, verbal, and nonverbal messages.
- Customer Service: Builds and maintains responsive, effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal: Accurately perceives others and the impact of one's own behavior to balance relationship and goal needs appropriately and positively in interactions.
- Professionalism: Aligns behavior with the library's mission, values, and strategic focus in serving a diverse stakeholder community.
- Valuing Diversity: Manages relationships with all people inclusively and equitably; conveys respect by valuing and encouraging the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to expand one's own awareness, knowledge, and skills of others' cultures, beliefs, identities, languages, interpersonal styles, and behaviors.
Supervisors/managers are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Develops/Empowers Others: Fosters others' learning and development to high standards in alignment with the library's mission, values, and strategic goals.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Gathering and sifting relevant data to think logically, strategically, and insightfully to make sound decisions, even under stress.
- Leadership: Melding a group of competent, diverse individuals into a high-performing team or organization that collaboratively meets its goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
The employee is expected to perform or possess the following:
- Thorough knowledge of established practices and procedures for the integrated library system.
- Knowledge of principles of supervising and training staff.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Strong organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle and resolve disruptive behavior effectively.
- Ability to work independently and to set priorities.
- Ability to speak, read, write and understand English clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective interpersonal skills with the public and co-workers.
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems including hardware and software, such as Microsoft Word, electronic databases, e-mail, and internet navigation in addition to other office equipment and security systems.
- Valid driver's license from the State of Washington required.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
Education and Experience
- Associates' degree in a related field preferred.
- Three years related experience required some of which must have been in a library.
- Experience in related public service work, some of which must have been in a library required.
- Supervisory or management experience required.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to: talk and hear; sit, stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; manipulate keyboard, copier keys and material supply trays. An incumbent may occasionally lift and/or move objects or materials weighing up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities include sufficient vision to read and recognize numbers and alphabetical characters on books, magazines and other materials as well as video display terminals. Incumbents may be required to stand at work stations for substantial periods of time and to walk throughout shelved book areas and returned materials processing areas.
The following Supplemental Questions will be asked during the application process for this position:
- Are you able to occasionally lift objects or materials weighing up to 35 pounds with or without accommodations?
- Do you have experience working in a public library?
- Do you have at least three years’ experience providing direct customer service in a library or in a public service environment?
- Describe your experience in supervising others, including hiring, performance management, corrective actions. Include the length of time you have been in a supervisory role.
- Describe your experience in resolving disruptive behavior effectively.
- Describe your experience using an integrated library system.