Job classification: full-time, hourly, non-exempt
Location: Rockville, MD
Champions Oncology provides an end-to-end range of research and development solutions and services that improve the productivity of the oncology drug development. Using in vitro, in vivo and in silico testing platforms, biopharma can leverage the experience and expertise at Champions Oncology to help guide decision making for the effective therapeutic development.
Support in vivo oncology studies in mice as a member of the Study Services Team. Additional duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to;
- Perform in-life technical procedures, handle, restrain, and provide care for all animals
- Observe animals for general health and overall well-being
- Administer therapeutic agents by various routes
- Provide animal welfare assessments, including body weight and tumor volume measurement
- Allocate animals to study and non-study groups
- Provide preoperative animal care
- Euthanize animals as directed in study protocols and directives
- Under supervision, may act as lead/primary technician on studies
- Read study protocols and extract pertinent information
- Perform study preparation activities including collection tube labeling and room/BSC set-up
- Record data using laboratory information management systems
- Work weekends and holidays on rotating basis
Qualifications and Skills
- (Research Tech I) BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum of 1 year of related experience
- (Research Tech II) BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum of 3 year of related experience
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
- AALAS certification preferred
- Experience with preclinical in vivo pharmacology or oncology studies in mice
- Technical in vivo and data analysis skills
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of accountability, integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of animal welfare and clinical testing regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
Physical demands and work environment
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Champions Oncology is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.