Metropolitan Family Service
MFS helps people move beyond the limitations of poverty, inequity and social isolation. Through social innovation and a focus on prevention, MFS delivers proven programs to help people succeed at home, in school and in the community.
MFS is always looking for qualified and dedicated employees committed to helping us strengthen the community. If you are looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and enthusiasm to help people in the Portland area, we would love to talk with you about our current opening listed below.
Moving Lives Forward.
We are currently seeking an Afterschool Activity Leader to lead fun and engaging classes for a diverse group of students in the following areas: arts & crafts, sports, academic enrichment, and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). Each class will consist of approx. 15 students grouped by grade level. Class materials and supplies will be provided.
Please review the job description below and submit a cover letter and resume as soon as possible. No phone calls, please. In your cover letter, please include your experience working with elementary-age children and which types of afterschool classes you would be interested in teaching.
Position Title: Temporary CAFE Activity Leader Reports To: CAFE Site Manager
Location: McKay Elementary
Position Dates: 1/10/2022-3/17/2022
Metropolitan Family Service position descriptions are guidelines. They are not intended to identify every task that an employee will be asked to complete. They are intended as a general outline of the essential work responsibilities and qualifications of the position.
Under general supervision of the CAFE Site Manager, CAFE Activity Leaders are responsible for designing, planning and teaching afterschool activities. CAFE afterschool programming enriches students lives by offering fun, hands-on activities that inspire learning and build skills for healthy lifestyles. Our goal is to provide a safe, positive learning environment that recognizes the potential of each child. Activities may include academic support, service-learning, sports & recreation, fine arts, and other high-interest themes.
- We use creative and proactive problem solving to build and sustain dynamic community-based programs and quality services.
- We believe in the potential of families and individuals at all life stages and focus on prevention, wellness, and independence.
- We build strong relationships by collaborating with our funders, partners, and highly trained volunteers, always striving for an extensive commitment to diversity.
Summary of Position:
Develop and facilitate afterschool activities. The employee will be responsible for programmatic, organizational, and classroom duties. He or she will work directly with the CAFE Site Manager, Principal, school staff, and students. Employees are part time, temporary employees of Metropolitan Family Service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop and teach engaging, age-appropriate lessons with ties to academics, recreation and/or the arts during the afterschool hours
- Supervise groups of 12-15 students while maintaining school-appropriate class decorum.
- Supervise groups during daily routines such as meal time, recess, bathroom breaks, and class transitions.
- Record and turn in student attendance daily.
- Maintain classroom and school rules to ensure students are safe.
- Communicate frequently with the CAFE Site Manager about individual student progress, successes and concerns. Keep the CAFE Site Manager informed about overall class development and needed support.
- Maintain positive working relationships with students, families, school staff, and custodians.
- Work within school and agency policies. Protect student confidentiality