Summary: Has the responsibility for the provision of optimum patient care in accordance with the Alabama Department of Health EMS Rules and Regulations. Shall be responsible for the safe operations of NorthStar EMS vehicles in accordance with current Alabama motor vehicle code.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain personal knowledge and skills in order to deliver optimum patient care as an EMT role model for other emergency service personnel
- Conduct a careful and full examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury and assist other medical personnel as necessary.
- Provide prompt and efficient care of the patient and stabilization of condition prior to transport.
- Provide careful handling of the patient in moving him/her to the ambulance.
- Provide safe and efficient transport of the patient while constantly monitoring the patient and providing any continuing care within the limits of license and certification.
- Provide orderly transfer of patient to destination.
- When necessary, in the absence of other qualified rescuers and within limits of training, use procedures to gain access to and disentangle patients who require extrication.
- Supervise the performance of EMT trainees and other observers on the unit.
- Safely operate vehicles of NorthStar EMS in accordance with current motor code of the State of Alabama and pay due regard for the safety of the public.
- Stock and maintain ambulance and its contents in a state of readiness at all times. Maintain station and its contents.
- Work in hazardous environments to insure safety and stabilization of the patient.
- Work with local BLS, ALS, fire and law enforcement agencies as a team for a coordinated effort on the patients behalf.
- Document all patient care, contact, assessments and all service reports in a timely fashion. Ensure that all billable items are charged for.
- Participate actively in NEMS QA.
- Maintain units, radios, equipment, supplies and stations in a state readiness 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week.
- Depending on whether functioning as a driver or attendant, will make daily checks of the vehicle equipment and systems, and completes manifest and other reports/forms as required of driver or attendant.
- When approved and requested, participating in the training and evaluation of new employees and students.
- Shall be punctual and ready for shift.
- To act at all times in a professional manner and shall be able to handle conflict situations with good judgment.
- Shall follow the NEMS chain of command.
- Shall act in accordance with NEMS QA programs.
- Must be able to read and understand written instructions that are given by physicians, and that are placed on or with medications and equipment. These written instructions are written generally at the ninth grade reading level but also use technical scientific and medical language.
- Must be able to send and understand oral messages both in person and with the use of communications equipment such as radios and cellular phones.
- Reports any vehicle malfunctions to the supervisor and maintenance shop. Documents the malfunction on the onboard maintenance sheet.
- Ability to respect and hold in confidence all information of a confidential nature obtained in the course of professional work unless required by law to divulge such information.
- Performs other duties as required by superiors.
Frequently: Intense tasks, busy environment.
Constantly: High pressure.
Occasionally: Extended day. Available for immediate recall, as needed.
Constantly: Works alone, with and around others, face-to-face and verbal contact, inside. Works inside and outside.
Frequently: Analyzing, decision making.
Constantly: Simple reading and writing, high math and writing skills, clerical, memorization, perception/computation, problem solving, simple math skills, judgment, reasoning.
Occasionally: Terminal, facsimile, computer/typewriter, keyboard, stapler, 3 hole punch, sharpener, calculator. Biomedical equipment
Frequently: Telephone, pager, cell phone.
- Participates actively in public awareness and community educational programs related to NEMS.
- Maintain professional appearance of the approved uniform and maintains hygienic and grooming standards.
- Work on special projects as delegated by management staff.
- Needs to communicate tactfully and sensitively to volunteer agencies.
- Shall remain apolitical while representing NEMS. Shall abstain from any and all political involvement with outside agencies while on duty or representing NEMS.
- Must speak English clearly and write legibly.
- Must possess basic teaching skills.