Requirements, Education and Skills
- Possess excellent telephone customer service and communication skills to be able to effectively gather basic client information for eligibility purposes.
- Effectively communicate with clients and family members, in order to verify information provided for financial assistance.
- Maintain confidentiality, sensitivity and professionalism while discussing sensitive issues with clients and family members.
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail are required.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills required.
- Ability to keep updated on policy or procedural changes.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Certified in HIPAA Privacy and Security and Patient Health Information (PHI).
- Ability to resolve patient's questions and concerns regarding status of their request for assistance.
- Ability to interact with the patient referral sources to process new applicants.
- Mastery of patient account handling from initial contact through final approval/denial.
- Familiar with insurance billing methods and general pharmacy operations.
- Ability to properly utilize all systems for maximum efficiencies (Word, Excel, MS Outlook, Company proprietary software, DiseaseTrak, telephone, and call center software).
- Ability to process all patient applications in accordance to set policy, procedures and PHI compliance.
- Ability to keep to assigned work hours. Regular attendance is an essential element of the job.
- Comply with all company policies.
- Keep a clean, orderly, and safe work station.
- Any other duties assigned by management.
Outside of Organization
The Co-Payment Specialist maintains a courteous relationship with patients, families, professionals, health care providers in order to provide professional and timely service to people applying for assistance.
The Specialist maintains professional and courteous working relationships with all CancerCare staff.
- Conduct follow-up calls to clients and professionals in order to obtain and verify financial and medical information for application processing.
Documentation and Data Entry
- Complete required screens in DiseaseTrak.
- Document all client calls as an activity
- Create all activities as needed for client follow-up processes
- Create all correspondence for patient and professionals
- Create ACP or other payment cards as appropriate
- Schedule follow up calls to client regarding application status.
- Contact applicants for clarification of submitted application or to request further information for application process.
- Mails appropriate correspondence to client and/or health care provider, regarding incomplete application.
- The Specialist demonstrates an understanding of the agency’s mission and goals.
- They exhibit a mature attitude and professional judgment.
- The Specialist demonstrates commitment, compassion and concern for the clients as well as a sense of professional discipline, responsibility and integrity with regard to dealing with co-workers.
- The Specialist establishes priorities in service delivery and organizes time and efforts to efficiently and effectively meet client and agency needs.
- The Specialist will maintain confidentiality of client and donor information.