Position Summary: The VISTA Volunteer Program Coordinator , will work for the Immigration and Legal Services Department (ILS). They will be responsible for developing a Sustainable Volunteer Program that includes setting up the structure of the systems for recruitment, training/mentoring, and retention of volunteers.
As an AmeriCorps member in the VISTA program, you will support our organization to make sustainable change in areas that affect poverty, including education, public health, climate, access to benefits, and more. Through volunteer recruitment, you will gain professional and organizational experience and leadership skills.
Department: Immigration Legal Services
Reports to: Supervising Attorney
Create Sustainable Volunteer Program:
- Setting up the structure of the ILS volunteer program
- Setting up sustainable system for volunteer recruitment and tracking
- Establish guidelines for training, mentoring and the retention of volunteers in the ILS program.
- Refine the training program as needed based on updates to the program structure or volunteer experience.
Volunteer Program Training:
- Update job descriptions and training manuals for ILS community volunteers to assist clients with filling out immigration applications via workshops
- Develop a training guide for volunteers assisting in the DACA and naturalization workshops
- Develop training guide for volunteers assisting in asylum seekers workshops
Non-Immigration Lawyer Training:
- Responsible for providing a venue, mentorship, and support to non-immigration pro bono lawyers
- Create the structure of pro bono attorney mentorship program and build protocols to screen and track volunteer attorneys and cases
- Create a resource library to support volunteer attorneys
- Within 90 days – review and understanding of the volunteer program model. Research and commentary on existing models at local agencies.
- Within six months – draft structure of ILS volunteer program, draft volunteers job descriptions, 2 workshops with volunteer assistance.
- Within one year – completed the development and implementation of ILS volunteer program with data capture to measure increase the level of legal service provided to Alameda and Contra Costa Communities.