What’s the deal?
Without an efficient fleet and well-maintained facilities, our operations team would not be able to do what they do best: provide efficient and reliable water and wastewater service to our customers. We are currently seeking a service focused Fleet and Facilities Maintenance Technician to join the team. This position will focus on ensuring all aspects of the District’s fleet, buildings, facilities, and equipment are well maintained. This position will also assist the team as needed with basic fleet maintenance and repair. This position will work closely with our Fleet and Facilities team of three and will interact across all departments. This is a great role for a mechanically inclined person who has experience in automotive maintenance, construction, or carpentry and wants to develop and enhance their skills. Welding and fabrication experience is highly desired. Hands-on property management experience could also be helpful in this role.
Why work for us?
As companies go, we’re a bit of a unicorn. We’re a local government entity that operates closer to the efficiency of a private organization. Our bread and butter is ensuring our community has clean drinking water and wastewater services. At our core, we steward the local watershed so that the Vail area can inspire generations with its natural beauty for years to come.
This is an on-site role that will work Monday to Friday.
Make sure the things that break get fixed quickly, that routine facility maintenance is routinely done, and keep the fleet in tip top shape, especially during winter!
The Day to Day:
- Fleet: Ensuring fleet vehicles and equipment are safe and prepared for the weather and road conditions. Service and perform preventive maintenance and minor repair work on a variety of automotive, specialized, and heavy equipment (e.g., change filters/tires, check lights/brakes/belts). Complete work orders and maintain inspection documentation. Installation of automotive electrical accessories (e.g., LED lights, inverters, relays, solenoids). Assist team with minor fabrication projects and small engine maintenance and repair.
- Facilities: Ensuring District buildings, facilities, and grounds are maintained. Troubleshoot and diagnose issues within the district’s facilities and determine the fix (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and landscaping systems). Ensures plowing, shoveling, de-icing and winter snow maintenance is completed in a timely manner. Performs fire mitigation and weed removal on a seasonal schedule and completes office furniture installation (e.g., shelving, pictures, shades) as necessary.
- Administration: Completes administrative functions including purchasing card reconciliation, time entry, scheduling, reading and responding to emails, and formulating basic reports.
- Customer Service: Efficient and effective communication with internal and external customers, working to resolve problems without ego. Demonstrates tact and professionalism in communications.
- Safety: Embraces the safety culture at the district and follows all safety and security protocols.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with all departments and district staff. Demonstrates a willingness to work independently and in a team environment. Demonstrates a strong work ethic, integrity, positive attitude and is a team player.
- Culture: Embraces district mission, vision, and values. No drama, direct and honest communication with others.