This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 150,000 annually. Cook is primarily responsible for shift management of all kitchen & back of the house food service operations at Estes Park Center; including menu planning, food preparation, ordering, and kitchen cleanliness. Cook is also responsible for compliance with federal, state and county health regulations.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
- Must be able to manage and direct staff of 6 or more.
- Have excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Be fluent in written and oral English.
- Maintain a hygienic, neat, clean, professional appearance and presentation at all times.
- Work holidays, weekends, and morning or evening shifts.
- Be timely and dependable for scheduled shifts.
- Be able to work eight-hour shifts on concrete floors and lift 70 pounds up to 36-inch-high tables.
- Have basic food preparation and sanitation knowledge.
- Have operational knowledge of a wide variety of F.S. equipment, including, but not limited to, computers, dish machine, broiler, steamer, ovens, slicer, tilt skillet, etc.
- Direct aspects of food production during shift, such as ordering, storage, preparation, cleaning, portion control, inventory and record keeping while ensuring culinary excellence at all times.
- Plan delicious and nutritious meals and deliveries to ensure the best utilization of the facilities and staff to meet customer needs.
- Execute planned meals to the specification of Association Food Service Director, Executive Chef, and assistant Executive Chef.
- Have ownership of produced meals, meal presentation, facility cleanliness, and working relationship with employees.
- Train, supervise, develop, and evaluate new employees to ensure maximum productivity is attained, morale is at a high level and excellent customer service is delivered.
- Understand cleanliness and sanitation protocol as directed by the YMCA of the Rockies and the Colorado Department of Health.
- One-year experience in a la carte high volume operation with a focus on presentations, Management experience preferred.
- Effectively coordinate with the Executive Chef & Pine Room Manager to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and seamless cooperation between front of house and back of house operations.
- SERV Safe Certification or program completion within 3 months of hire.
- Ability/qualifications to work in other kitchen areas as needed.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Working in a kitchen environment
- Standing for long periods of time
- Carrying large objects, stooping, kneeling and bending
- Working outside in all weather
- Various levels of noise; from none to very loud equipment or music
- Working with a diverse staff
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.