Title: Senior Consultant
Department: Forensics Group
Job Summary: The Senior Consultant plans direct and coordinates activities of designated projects to ensure that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the designated time frame and proposed cost either personally or through the management and mentorship of the project team.
The Senior Consultant is responsible for identifying, planning, directing, and overseeing all aspects of Lerch Bates Forensic projects. This role will be primarily responsible for responding to client requests regarding new projects, conducting or overseeing existing building projects to determine solutions to address the client’s requests via reports of findings, while providing a technical review, mentorship, and training to Engineers, Specialist, and Technicians.
The Senior Consultant acts as a technical liaison on matters pertaining to the field of practice; applies advanced techniques, modifications, and theories. Performs with little guidance or oversight and a high degree of discretion and judgement. Must have the ability to see the additional scope of work and communicate/upsell to the client.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The primary role to the Senior Consultant is to identify, plan, direct, and coordinate each of the critical project life cycle phases. The focus is on forensics or rehabilitation/design. These phases typically involve the following:
- Conduct or direct Engineer, Specialist and Technicians in site investigations and field review of existing buildings
- Review background documentation to determine original construction detailing and identify the cause of damage/defect
- Areas of focus are structural engineering, building enclosures, commercial roof systems, waterproofing systems, and exterior facades including masonry
- Prepare and present reports and presentations of findings that document the existing conditions and extend defect and provide a rough magnitude of repair, to provide recommended repairs for damage/defect, existing condition
- Client interactions to determine appropriate next steps following evaluations
- Working with the business development team to develop proposals, the scope of services, and budgets.
- Permit and code review
- Peer review reports of findings for direct reports/peers
- Communicate complicated design ideas through multiple formats including hand sketching to better coordinate team efforts and communicate clients desired outcomes
- Coordinate with internal designers, drafters, engineers, and consultants for preparation of construction drawings, specifications, bid documents
- Conduct drawing, detail, and specification reviews throughout the design process
- Review shop drawings and submittals for conformance with the design intent, performance with respect to the various building science and engineering principles, and for any scheduling of work issues
- Perform cursory calculations of repair and/or code upgrade
- Provide oversight of technicians and specialists performing field review, including technical and directional advice. Review report of findings Resulting from an onsite investigation and/or document review
- Assume full managerial responsibility for all aspects of the project; scope, schedule, design, quality, staff, and execution
- Act as Engineer of record to sign/seal reports of findings
- Act as a trusted advisor to Clients and prospective Clients; own and develop the Client relationship
- Explore opportunities to enhance service with or up sell existing clients/projects
- Proactively keep clients and stakeholders informed of project status and changes
- Establishes industry reputation and markets to new clients
- Perform project tracking and quality control including regular project status reviews of actual vs. planned, facilitating project status and design review meetings internally and with the client; take appropriate actions to address variance to project plan; follow standardized procedures for Lerch Bates processes/procedures
- Manage time and resources effectively; maintain and communicate schedule internally and externally
- Ensure personal utilization and direct report consistently meets established goals
- May have up to five direct reports
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Discipline (Civil, Structural, Construction) or Architecture
- P.E. Licensure
- 8 -10 years’ experience in the forensics, rehabilitation or building envelope consulting industry
- Previous experience managing, mentoring, and leading teams.
- Technically competent and able to effectively communicate and build rapport with clients, co-workers, and sub-contractors
- Design must have a practical understanding of building structure building enclosure systems, specifically roofing, waterproofing, claddings, fenestration, and air/water/thermal/vapor barriers
- Excellent skills in technical writing and oral communication
- Flexible, responsive, and confident multi-tasker able to work independently, handle multiple deadlines and accommodate shifting priorities
- Must have the ability to lead and contribute to the team in a collaborative, interactive environment
- Must demonstrate a commitment to quality, organization, meticulous attention to detail, and consistency in work product
- Previous experience working with project invoicing and budget management
- Previous successful results in upselling services/scope
- Preferred proficiency in one or more design/modeling software programs, including AutoCAD, Bluebeam®, WUFI, THERM, etc.
Preferred Education, Experience & Skills:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering Discipline (Civil, Structural, Construction) or Architecture
- Certification in industry specific technical areas (Roofing, Fenestrations, Waterproofing, Enclosure Commissioning)
- Specialized focus in 5 or more industry areas of technical expertise, i.e., Roofing, Fenestration, Waterproofing, Civil engineering, Cost Estimating, etc.
Lerch Bates offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401(k) with matching contributions, tuition reimbursement and Health Savings Accounts. We offer generous time off benefits and opportunities to learn and grow through our own internal development program, Lerch Bates University.
Lerch Bates is the global multidisciplinary technical consultancy saving time and money for those designing, modernizing, investigating, or managing buildings. From risk to ROI, schedule to sustainability, Lerch Bates’ suite of services helps you plan the future of your building at every phase of the building lifecycle. As your partner in finding the best technical outcomes for your project, we ensure functionality, safety and value work together.
We simplify the path to the best technical expertise for the built environment anywhere in the world. Lerch Bates offers integrated specialties that include vertical transportation, logistics, enclosures & structures, forensics, building maintenance equipment services (BMES); and multidisciplinary building lifecycle services that optimize performance from design, construction and management to forensic investigation, repair and modernization.
As an ESOP, Lerch Bates employee-owners bring a distinct “we own what we do” brand of technical consulting to every project and partnership. When you work with us, you gain a team member with an ownership mindset. Expect responsibility, service and performance in everything we do.
CORE Values: Ownership . Community . Integrity . Respect . Optimism
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.