The Assistant Service Manager is responsible for day to day maintenance work at their assigned Birchstone community. This role is responsible for the execution of regular and preventative maintenance programs, unit and grounds inspections, service team training, timely completion of service requests, and assistance with special projects including capital improvements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Execute and participate in Birchstone’s overall regular and preventative maintenance programs, standards, and initiatives.
- Assist the Service Manager in the physical operations and maintenance work to ensure code compliance, gain efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Conduct frequent and regular inspections of the property and individual units for adherence to company maintenance and safety standards; document and prioritize action plans based upon inspection findings.
- Ensure community is prepared for 3rd party inspections and attend such inspections.
- Receive, manage, schedule, and complete service requests and make readies; meet daily with the Service Manager to ensure timely completion of service requests assigned to Service Technicians and Porters.
- Organize, manage, and file appropriate reports and other important documents as required, and in a timely manner.
- Manage and complete make-ready checklists; ensure adherence to apartment turns within budget and 5 business day make ready time frame.
- Complete all required repairs and improvements to apartments prior to resident move-in.
- Complete service requests timely while supporting cost-cutting and expense control initiatives through repairs (rather than replacements) when possible.
- Assist in maintaining the grounds, common areas, and amenities.
- Change locks as needed and ensure gates are in proper working order.
- Promote safety and maintain an up to date Safety Data Sheet manual at all times.
- Maintain inventory of tools, equipment, and supplies;
- Assist with the implementation and monitoring of corporate and area/region-specific initiatives.
- Assist in obtaining contract specs and bids, managing bid processes, etc.; directly supervise all in-house and vendor maintenance work and accompany outside vendors on service request calls for occupied apartments when necessary.
- Provide support and assistance in the execution of special projects and assignments including capital improvement projects.
- Attend regular meetings with Service Manager, Service Technicians, and Porter(s), and act as a resource to community team members for maintenance related matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent is required
- Two (2) or more years work experience in maintenance, with at least one (1) year of experience supervising service teams is required.
- One (1) or more years work experience in multi-family property maintenance preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in drywall, electrical, carpentry, flooring, plumbing, painting, appliances, HVAC, and lock change required.
- Experience in capital improvement projects and remodeling preferred.
Licenses & Certifications:
- HVAC type 1 and type 2 certifications required; Certified Apartment Maintenance Technician (CAMT) certification is preferred. Certified Pool Operator certification is preferred.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Valid driver’s license required
TRAVEL: 10% or less