The Head of the Audit and Assurance Services Department is responsible for leadership, direction and guidance of department activities to ensure the short and long-term profitability and growth of the department. Advanced technical knowledge in Audit and Assurance Services standards, along with excellent management and supervisory skills are required. The head of this department will spend approximately 75% of their time on department management and 25% on client work.
Summary of Job Functions
- Coordinate with CEO/Board/COO, industry groups, Audit & Assurance Directors, Managers/ Senior Staff, learning and professional development group.
- Innovation and Strategy
- Methodology, process and standardization, technology, outsourcing/ offshoring.
- Quality and Risk Management
- Oversight/coordination with Quality Control Director, risk management, document retention and destruction, and training.
- Client (reporting, engagement performance monitoring, client acceptance), Staff (professional development, scheduling, and utilization).
- Talent Development
- Provide guidance, mentorship and support to Managers and Professional Staff. Identify training needs and opportunities for professional growth among Managers and Professional Staff. Foster a collaborative and motivated work environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Head of the Audit and Assurance Services Department
- Review Audit and Assurance Services department utilization and assignment of work to the appropriate Staff.
- Assess staffing and skill levels needed to match the firm’s current and future client needs.
- Maintain oversight of training, development and advancement of all professional Staff within the Audit and Assurance department consistent with the firm’s growth plans.
- Oversee client acceptance and terminations if necessary.
- Manage the department’s timely completion of Audit and Assurance Services work.
- Maintain overall quality of work product including reviewing/maintaining consistent audit methodologies and processes.
- Regularly organize and lead Audit and Assurance Services department meetings.
- Oversee all administrative individuals and processes involved within the Audit and Assurance Services department.
- Communicate Audit and Assurance Services information among our clients and professionals within the firm.
- Oversee research and technical information developed within the department.
- Maintain the firm’s Audit and Assurance Services library, including all research tools and software.
- Oversee, understand, and evaluate the technological needs of the Audit and Assurance Services department.
- Report to Chief Executive Officer on a regular basis with status and updates within the department.
- Contribute to the hiring process for professional Staff as needed, including interviewing.
- Practicing Audit and Assurance Services Director
- Manage Audit and Assurance Services engagement teams, as well as research projects, to achieve an accurate and efficient product.
- Possess expert knowledge and experience with financial statement review and technical issues.
- Possess a complete knowledge of the firm’s philosophy and its opinions on Audit and Assurance Services matters.
- Participate in firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community, and industry activities.
- Utilize skills developed over time to continue being an authoritative resource in the community, locally and nationally.