The Maintenance Technician I is responsible for assisting the maintenance team in all aspects of the maintenance of the property and grounds as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor.
MAJOR FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES
Common Area Maintenance
- Patrol grounds, attend to any landscaping issues, maintain pet stations, pick up trash / debris / pet waste
- Inspect and maintain paving, parking, curbing, curb stops, sidewalks
- Maintain pool and all associated equipment, inspect and maintain pool fencing/gate, clean and maintain pool / clubhouse bathrooms (Check for and maintain proper chemical ratios/logs in accordance with State law if CPO certified)
- Inspect and maintain site fencing / retaining walls / handrails / all other fall/trip hazards
- Inspect and maintain exterior lights / photocells / and associated electrical components
- Patrol and inspect for sewer backups, water main breaks, leaks, and frozen water lines. Complete necessary routine repairs when required
- Inspect laundry facility / associated equipment and complete preventative maintenance on a routine basis
- Inspect and maintain all other common area amenities on a routine basis
- Report lease violations to office staff
Unit Make Ready Process - vacant units
- Adjust thermostats in vacant apartments for responsible energy conservation
- Perform routine checks, repairs and replacements of typical make-ready components and any/all other required items as detailed on the punch sheet
- Inspect vacant units for water intrusion and or other risk related issues
- Communicate with maintenance supervisor and/or property manager regarding any deficiencies in unit condition that have not already been identified
Exterior Building Maintenance
- Maintain, repair, and replace windows, doors and associated hardware including glass panes, screens, latches, locks, hinges, shutters, etc.
- Inspect and maintain exterior siding, stair treads, handrails, patio enclosures, balconies and all other carpentry related aspects of the property.
Resident Customer Service and Communication
- Exercise diplomacy, professionalism and a cordial manner at all times in dealing with the residents, staff, management, vendors, contractors and other associates
- Understand and demonstrate quality customer service to all residents and prospective residents by communicating in a polite and courteous manner on a daily basis
- Always observe and abide by the requirements set forth by the fair housing authorities
- Always work to ensure the respect, privacy, rights and confidentiality of all residents by never disclosing or discussing any privileged information obtained as a result of your position or unit entry
Occupied Apartment Maintenance – Service Requests and Scheduled Routine Maintenance
- Complete all required documentation per company protocol when performing work in occupied units
- Ensure that all routine service requests are completed promptly and satisfactorily within a 24-hour period (and that, consistent with the preceding, all required documentation is submitted in a timely basis consistent with protocol)
- Perform repairs and maintenance, as requested, on all property-provided appliances including but not limited to ranges, refrigerators/ice-makers, dishwashers, water heaters, washers/dryers
- Replace property-provided appliances when necessary
- Perform miscellaneous minor electrical repairs as instructed by Maintenance Supervisor
- Perform reliable assessment and accurate determination of the source of leaks/water intrusion and take corrective action.
- Replace/repair plumbing fixtures (including sinks, faucets, pop-ups, toilets, traps, supply lines, etc) and attend to various other plumbing-related issues such as clogged lines and water pressure issues
- Door/window/lock repair and or replacement.
- Minor carpentry repair and painting.
- Light fixture/ceiling fan/smoke-carbon monoxide detector, blind repair and or replacement.
- Pest remediation.
- Perform scheduled AC filter and life/safety detector inspections.
Efficiency and Expense Control
- At all times, attempt to conserve energy, water, gas, and/or any other resources of the property
- Minimize waste of materials and parts regardless of what they cost – use sound judgment when evaluating any item for replacement versus repair
- Properly maintain company-provided equipment, tools, materials, and workspace
- Observe all safety precautions, standards and procedures by adhering to OSHA, EPA and corporate requirements/guidelines
- When on call, ensure that emergency maintenance is performed promptly and efficiently during non-working hours
- Ensure that policies and procedures related to keys/locks are followed
- Report any specific problems or injuries to Maintenance Supervisor and/or Community Manager immediately
- Report any inappropriate conduct or behavior by outside contractors, residents, and/or coworkers to the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Community Manager immediately