The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The mission of the Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is to ensure the health of all New York City (NYC) residents by providing quality laboratory testing services which address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners as they respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns.
PHL is seeking to hire a qualified Associate Laboratory Microbiologist. This position will direct and coordinate the daily operations of laboratories providing diagnostic services with special supervisory responsibilities during routine testing and outbreak events, including COVID-19.
- Direct, supervise, train, discipline and evaluate the performance of laboratory staff and trainees.
- Prioritize, schedule, organize and direct the activities of laboratory to provide optimal delivery of services according to PHL standards of quality, productivity, and performance.
- Lead and coordinate the daily operations of laboratory functional area in collaboration with Analytical Specialists and management during routine testing and outbreak events.
- Perform technical bench duties as necessary.
- Analyze, verify, and release reports.
- Help to establish or modify technical procedures as needed, update and maintain SOPM and quality documents.
- Initiate and direct the study of new materials or methods designed to improve diagnostic procedures.
- Manage and oversee laboratory staff and purchase of inventory, storage, and supplies usage for routine testing and outbreak responses.
- Participate in the cross-training program within PHL sections and associated COVID Testing off-site laboratories.
- Ensure all regulatory and safety standards are followed and serve as a resource for regulatory and
- accreditation compliance.
- Conduct meetings to update staff and assure employee compliance with PHL policies and procedures.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement initiatives for laboratory processes and work collaboratively with the section and Quality Management to implement changes.
- Prepare annual budget requests.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Core Competencies: Flexibility, Organized, Adaptability, Attention to detail and Stress Tolerance.