Accessible Braille Textbook Editor III
The American Printing House for the Blind (APH), a world leader in creating learning solutions and products for children and adults who are blind or low vision, is seeking an Accessible Braille Textbook Editor III. Reporting to the Accessible Tests and Textbooks Department Manager, this position is responsible for editing, adapting, and conducting quality control review of textbooks and materials for students who are blind or low vision.
The successful candidate can reside locally in Louisville, KY, or out of state. Occasional travel for onsite meetings is required.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Edit and adapt print textbooks into braille to ensure educational integrity for students who are blind or low vision.
- Lead and direct the correct transcription of textbooks materials into braille by external transcribers, including providing detailed editing and formatting notes for each project, responding in a prompt and informed manner to queries, and serving as a knowledge base for all things pertaining to braille textbooks, technical subject matter, and extensive formatting of complicated materials.
- Ensures all external projects maintain an agreed-upon timeframe for submission and completion of each textbook project.
- Conducts the quality control review of textbooks submitted by external and internal transcribers to ensure compliance with bid specifications, UEB and/or Nemeth Code, BANA transcription guidelines, NBA textbook formatting guidelines, and best practices, with particular emphasis on mathematics and science material.
- Deliver clear and constructive critiques to external transcribers to ensure ongoing compliance with all pertinent codes and formatting guidelines.
- Creation and processing of all documentation to ensure timely delivery of completed braille projects to the production team.
- In partnership with the Production and Quality Assurance teams, identify and correct braille errors and related file issues as they might arise.
- Assists in the development of APH textbook editing standards.
- Remain current in all developments related to the transcription of braille materials, including braille code updates, formatting updates, and the introduction of new technologies for braille transcription.
- Attends professional development conferences, workshops, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.