Worst Case Scenario is a temporary exhibit scheduled at the Fleet Science Center in Summer 2023 which includes many interactive experiences for Science Center visitors. The Worst Case Scenario Gallery Experience Supervisor supports the Fleet Mission and Visitor Experience Philosophy by coordinating and leading the efforts of the exhibits Gallery Facilitators. The Facilitators provide educational content within the exhibit and the supervisor is responsible for their recruiting, scheduling and managing their day to day tasks. This position is a working supervisor and may be expected to fill in as a Gallery Facilitator as needed. This is a temporary season position through September 24, 2023. Candidate must be available starting June 19, earlier if possible.
Reports to: Exhibits Director
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision and leadership to the Worst Case Scenario Gallery Facilitators and to volunteers working within the Worst Case Scenario Exhibit.
- Create and disseminate the weekly work schedule for the Gallery Facilitators and always ensure adequate staffing.
- Provide ongoing evaluation and training for Gallery Facilitators to ensure that they are knowledgeable and effective in their roles.
- Communicate and enforce organizational and departmental policies and procedures at all times.
- Train all Worst Case Scenario staff and volunteers on customer service, general Fleet operations and safety and emergency procedures.
- Assist with the installation and deinstallation of the Worst Case Scenario exhibit pieces.
- Collaborate with Education and Exhibits Departments to develop, implement and maintain engaging gallery programming.
- Recruit and onboard Worst Case Scenario Gallery Facilitators, including scheduling interviews, performing reference checks and coordinating offer letters with Human Resources.
- Collaborate with the Volunteer Program Coordinator to schedule, train and onboard volunteers to perform tasks specific to the Worst Case Scenario exhibit.
- Serve as a point of escalation and communicate visitor concerns and any required follow-up to the Exhibits and Visitor Experience & Business Operations Departments.
- Must be available to work a variety of shifts as required, which include mornings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY THE PERSON ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. PRINCIPAL DUTIES ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THOSE FUNCTIONS THAT ARE ESSENTIAL TO THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS JOB. AN INCUMBENT MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM ALL OF THE ESSENTIAL DUTIES OUTLINED ABOVE.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT STATE OR IMPLY THAT THE ABOVE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. AN EMPLOYEE HOLDING THIS POSITION WILL BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ANY OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES AS REQUESTED BY MANAGEMENT. ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH A DISABILITY.
Physical Requirements of this Position:
Medium Work: Position involves sitting, standing, and/or walking. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects. Occasionally, position requires lifting and moving objects weighing 50 pounds.
Business Location Presence: This position requires physical presence at the business location during all assigned working hours to adequately perform all duties.
Working for the Fleet comes with some great perks including free access to other Balboa Park museums and the San Diego Zoo, free Fleet Science Center passes to share with friends and family, discounts at the Fleet's Science Store and Craveology Cafe and other discounts at vendors around Balboa Park! Come join our team!