Goal/Purpose: The Welcome Center desk is the “hub” of Scarritt Bennett Center and the first impression to our guests who are here participating in one of our educational programs, staying overnight, attending a conference, etc. Scarritt Bennett Center creates space where groups and individuals engage each other to achieve a more just world. The Welcome Center is a place that welcomes and assists community members when they come to grow and share in our principles. Our goal is to deliver the highest level of customer service and hospitality to each guest who calls, e-mails, or walks through our door.
- Serve our mission by providing exceptional customer service and hospitality to all guests.
- Responsible for handling and/or transferring all incoming calls for the Center.
- Stand and greet all guest(s) upon their arrival to the Welcome Center. Register guests and process payments.
- Participate in overnight lodging procedures, beginning with the reservation process, assisting during their stay and ending with the formal check-out.
- Perform all daily morning/evening tasks as prescribed.
- Answer guest’s questions, make them feel at home and build on-going relationships.
- Offer basic concierge services by maintaining ongoing knowledge of Nashville’s attractions, restaurants and events. Respond to guest(s) questions or problems in a timely, professional manner.
- Convey necessary orientation information to guest(s) so they are familiar with the campus, history, amenities, and services offered. This will involve learning the institutional history and becoming a storyteller for guest(s) and potential guest(s).
- Report all incident(s) to Director.
- Respond to reservation inquiries by phone/email/walk-in.
- Anticipate and prevent sold-out dates and provide information on alternative accommodations when the property cannot accommodate guests.
- Maintain area (Welcome Center and/or Lobby) so it is acceptable to the public and guests, also making sure maps/brochures are stocked.
- Assist with random and/or scheduled room checks.
- Work with Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments on daily operations in regards to guestroom status.
- Become familiar with all conference services operating reports.
- Make cash and check drops when guests use that form of payment including when paying for postage, copies, faxes, etc.
- Assist with cleaning meeting rooms and/or sleeping rooms as needed.
- Assist with special events reservations including holiday luncheons.
- Respond to basic guest(s) needs including access to meeting rooms, simple A/V needs, residential lockouts, restocking restrooms, etc.
- Sell items from the Pantry and manage both credit card and cash transactions.
- Be willing to flex work schedule based on front desk requirements, to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Assist with sales and room blocks through cooperation with Assistant Director of Conference Services.
- Assist with maintaining an orderly entrance and front desk area with light housekeeping and organizing.
- Other duties as assigned.
Expertise and Cultural Considerations Needed to serve in this project:
- A strong commitment to our legacy and mission: Scarritt-Bennett Center is a place of hospitality, education about justice and equality, reconciliation and renewal, cooperation and interaction within the ecumenical and global context. Rooted in mission, the Center has a strong commitment to the eradication of racism, empowerment of women, and spiritual reflection.
- The individual must have experience in having contact with the public, must have a relational affect, project a positive edge and passion, be able to multi-task and problem solve quickly, and pay attention to detail.
- The individual must be self-motivated, able to take initiative, resourceful, and able to operate in a flexible workplace. Skills and training in intake, assessment and problem solving are extremely helpful, as is the ability to talk to a wide variety of people in the course of a day.
- The individual must be able to handle a high level of confidentiality, must be professional, and maintain good professional boundaries and must be able to represent Scarritt Bennett Center in a positive fashion.
- Ability to interact with a diverse set of guest(s).
Qualifications: Experience in guest services, hospitality, or front desk preferred, experience with credit card/cash/check transactions and handling preferred, experience with phone communication/transferring lines preferred, basic computer skills required. Must have high attention to detail and high work-ethic, must be a self-starter and self-motivated, and team player. Excellent communication skills both written and oral. Must excel in multi-tasking and problem solving. Background check and drug screen will be conducted.
The work environment involves every day risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting/banquet rooms, etc. and use of safe work practices, avoiding falls and health regulations is critical. Work is not sedentary. Must have physical ability to lift items up to 50 lbs., walk, stand, bend, carry and operate light equipment.
- The Welcome Center provides extended guest services hours, including nights and weekends. The Guest Services Associate must be flexible and available for scheduling that is prone to change.