Under general direction from the General Manager, plans, directs, organizes, integrates, manages and provides oversight of services of the Engineering & Compliance functions of the District; serves as the District Engineer and Compliance Officer; provides oversight and project management of capital improvement projects, contractor and contract services; directs and manages the development of short and long-term goals and objectives consistent with the Strategic Plan and annual business plan and ensures their effective execution; provides direction and supervision of Engineering staff; ensures all assigned operations and functions serve the needs of the District, while complying with applicable laws and regulations; provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the General Manager; and performs related duties as assigned.
This position is responsible for managing and integrating a wide variety of functions, programs and staff engaged in managing the broad, comprehensive engineering and compliance services and activities for the District. Within assigned areas of accountability, the incumbent operates with substantial latitude and discretion to achieve effective and efficient utilization of resources in serving the District’s mission. Positions at this class level serve as a member of the District’s senior leadership team and provide advice and counsel to the General Manager regarding strategic policy and problem-solving issues relating to the assigned Departments and the District overall. A person appointed to the Director of Engineering & Compliance/District Engineer classification is an at-will employee. The incumbent in this position provides direct supervision of the Senior Engineer and has oversight of the two (2) District departments of Engineering & Compliance.
The following duties are typical of this classification and are intended only to describe the various types of work that may be performed, the level of technical complexity of the assignment(s) and are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties. The omission of a specific duty statement does not exclude it from the position if the work is consistent with the concept of the classification or is similar or closely related to another duty statement to address business needs and changing business practices.
Minimum Qualifications AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs a variety of professional engineering tasks in the planning, design development and construction of District Facilities and evaluates the effectiveness of District programs, procedures and services relating to maintenance and operations including: planning, design, landfill and site development and maintenance, construction and building renovation needs, operations of landfill gas monitoring and collection systems, leachate collection/extraction/treatment systems and groundwater monitoring wells, and traffic flow and control.
- Oversees and is responsible for planning and execution of all engineering & compliance, and safety programs.
- Plans, organizes and implements the District’s capital improvement projects; develops revenue forecasts and monitors expenditures; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures to ensure budget adoption prior to July 1 of each year.
- Oversees and is responsible for permitting of all District services and functions; administers regulatory compliance programs, including environmental and construction permit requirements.
- Performs and reviews engineering calculations, prepares cost estimates and manages budgets for contract construction projects.
- Assist in preparation of long-term capital overlay plan for capital equipment, machinery and facilities as part of the annual budget preparation process.
- Plans and evaluates performance of assigned staff; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; collaborate with HR Manager to takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with the District's personnel rules, policies and labor contract provisions where applicable.
- Prepares Requests for Proposal (RFPs) for equipment and services as directed; represents the District in negotiations with vendors and service contractors.
- Provides oversight and lead direction of all capital improvement projects.
- Prepares and presents project status reports to the Board of Directors, management staff, other District staff, outside agencies and the public.
- Oversees proper compliance with specifications on the use and development of disposal site and proper compliance with permits issued for various site operations and/or operation’s support facilities or equipment.
- Provides advice and consultation on long range operations planning and facility development.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager.
- All District positions require the employee to provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other District employees, and have regular and reliable attendance and timeliness. Must show cooperation and respect to fellow employees and supervisors at all times.
- Provides staff assistance to the General Manager and Board of Directors; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Participates in the review and revision of the District’s rates structure and charges; recommends strategies and approaches for evaluating rate change alternatives; recommends proposed rates.
- Within assigned areas of accountability, serves as the District's representative to professional, industry and community groups and customers and to other agencies, organizations and individuals.
- Participates in regional, state, national and other professional meetings, and conferences to stay abreast of trends and technology related to District operations, particularly in areas of assigned accountability.
- Administers consultant and professional service contracts.
- Evaluates and recommends improvements to processes and procedures to ensure regulatory audit compliance; directs and participates in the preparation of a variety of records and reports ensuring timeliness, accuracy, and compliance with appropriate laws, ordinances, and regulations.