Teacher Created Materials is a 40+ year old, award-winning educational publishing company. Come join our team! Teacher Created Materials offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off plus Company Holidays
- Generous 401(K) program with Match
- Generous Childcare and Wellness Programs
- Flexible work schedules
- Plus more!
The Acquisitions Editor Professional Resource role is responsible for identifying, acquiring, and developing manuscripts and for educators and other adults who care for and teach children that fulfill goals defined by Teacher Created Materials and that meet stringent quality standards and are commercially successful. Position involves close collaboration with publisher, and editorial, sales/marketing, and creative teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in planning, developing, and implementing a publishing strategy to ensure the overall success of the educator resource lines of Teacher Created Materials: Free Spirit Professional and Shell Education.
- Network and source qualified authors and contacts for acquisitions.
- Monitor industry trends and issues and share them with editorial and sales/marketing.
- Research new subject matters, conduct ongoing competition analysis, and source acquisitions related to company mission and goals.
- Collaborate in the management of the acquisitions process including unsolicited manuscripts and author solicitations and the criteria for evaluating them.
- Work with new and existing authors to develop book proposals.
- In coordination with Publisher, assess potential value of projects and prepare proposals for review by editorial team and owners.
- Coordinate feasibility process for new projects, including market research and analysis, suggestions for product makeup, target market audience, P&L projections, and other input as required to make the publishing decision.
- Make initial offer on approved projects, and support preparation of author contracts and negotiation of contracts to completion.
- Support contracted authors in delivering a complete first draft that meets expectations. As needed, complete developmental edit memos for lead editor.
- In coordination with Publisher, ensure timely management of product lifecycles including revisions, updates, ancillary products, new formats, and discontinuation.
- Represent Teacher Created Materials, Free Spirit Professional, and Shell Education at industry conferences and events.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.