Freire Schools is currently seeking a full-time Emotional Supports Counselor for the 2023-2024 school year! Freire staff members are innovative collaborators who are passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who are flexible, highly motivated, extraordinarily dedicated, who value diversity and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students. We are seeking a compassionate and dedicated High School Emotional Support Counselor to join our team. The counselor will provide critical emotional and mental health support to our high school students, helping them overcome obstacles, develop coping skills, and thrive academically and personally.
Job Duties Include:
- Provide one-on-one and group counseling sessions to high school students facing emotional and mental health challenges.
- Develop and implement individualized counseling plans to address students' specific needs.
- Collaborate with teachers, parents, and administrators to create a supportive and nurturing environment for students.
- Offer crisis intervention and support when necessary.
- Conduct assessments and evaluations to identify students in need of emotional support.
- Organize and facilitate workshops and programs aimed at promoting emotional well-being.
- Maintain accurate and confidential student records.
- Stay up-to-date with best practices in the field of emotional support and counseling.
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities and team meetings.
- Attend grade team meetings
- Bachelor's degree in School Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or a related field preferred. State licensure or certification as a School Counselor or Mental Health Counselor preferred.
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to do whatever it takes to get a job done
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team
- Ability to act as an advocate and liaison for both teachers and students
- Previous successful experience working with urban youth
- Great communication skills
- Experience with Naviance and College Board.
- Previous experience in College Counseling a plus
About Freire Wilmington
Freire Wilmington’s goal for our students is Graduation x2 success in and graduation from not just high school, but college as well. Our unique five-year high school program, starting in 8th grade, gives students the time and support they need to catch up and then excel. We enroll the highest low-income population of any high school in Delaware into a high-quality and tuition-free college preparatory program. And it’s working! Freire Wilmington is the #1 non-selective public charter high school in Delaware, according to 2022 U.S. News and World Report rankings. The Class of 2022 made impressive strides toward their college goals, with 90% of graduates accepted to at least one college and $5 million earned collectively in scholarships and aid. Our school is known for its small, family feel and robust opportunities for students to create, connect, and grow in and out of the classroom, including an impressive 21st Century CLC after school and summer program. We're looking for a college counselor to continue this critical work of our Wilmington campus!
- believe in doing whatever it takes to ensure our students are successful in college and beyond.
- believe that student achievement can be measured in tangible ways.
- believe that self-reflection and growth is essential to improving their craft.
- believe in actively building a positive, enthusiastic, and collaborative school community.
Freire offers a very competitive salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to developing all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in the nation.