Job Description: Library and Media Paraprofessional
Guadalupe Centers Charter Schools are a free, open enrollment, public charter school currently serving students in grades Pre-K-12. Guadalupe Centers Charter Schools are part of the Guadalupe Educational System, Inc. (GES) under Guadalupe Centers, Inc. It is sponsored by the University of Central Missouri. The vision of GES is to empower students to succeed in college and their chosen professions by providing a rigorous and enriching learning experience that develops highly educated, socially conscious, culturally competent, contributing members of society.
Summary: The Library and Media Paraprofessional assists the Library and Media Specialist with instructional and non-instructional activities for students, staff, and parents. Responsibilities include organization and circulation of the collection, helping students and teachers with resource needs, supporting one-to-one device management, troubleshooting and assisting with the overall operation of the library.
Reports To: Library and Media Specialist
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists with coordination, training, and support of library volunteers for the purpose of ensuring efficiency for an informative and educational learning environment.
- Assists students, staff, and parents with a variety of activities (e.g. researching and finding materials, assisting with classroom assignments, setting up equipment, trouble shoots computer problems, device insurance and claims processes, coordinating the lending of book sets, etc.) for the purpose of providing services to library clients.
- Attends in-service training for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information and supporting District goals.
- Confers with Library and Media Specialist for the purpose of coordinating activities and ensuring the effective and efficient operation of the work unit.
- Consistent interaction with students for the purpose of educating them.
- Creates promotional displays, exhibits, and flyers for the purpose of promoting events, educational developments, and resources that are available for use.
- Maintains a variety of documents, files, and records (e.g. LMC facility usage, schedules, overdue lists, troubleshooting log, order information, Destiny data, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities and providing up-to-date, accurate information.
- Monitors student activities (e.g. assures students sign in and out, issues passes if necessary, assists with computer and printer issues, assists in locating and selecting books, supervises after-school drop-in students, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe, supportive environment that is conducive to learning.
- Oversees equipment usage (e.g. schedules all equipment, replies to equipment requests, resolves scheduling conflicts, provides updated information on web schedule, sets up DVD/TV, sets up projection/sound on laptops, creates work orders for unresolved issues, etc.) for the purpose of providing equipment in an efficient and effective manner.
- Performs circulation activities (e.g. checks-in and checks-out materials, prepares circulation count, runs and distributes overdues, processes holds and loan requests, follows up overdues through student contact and parent letters, assists clients in locating materials, oversees periodical organization and processing, etc.) for the purpose of controlling the use, location, and availability of items in the collection.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks (e.g. answers telephone, takes and delivers messages, updates and creates documents, conducts annual library inventory, copies and scans items, reconciles inventory reports, operates a variety of office equipment, orders supplies, etc.) for the purpose of supporting the effective and efficient functioning of thee work unit.
- Prepares manual and electronic documents and reports (e.g. monthly circulation reports, inventory reports, overdue reports, etc.) for the purpose of providing documentation and information to others.
- Prepares items for deprocessing (e.g. compiles list of barcodes, removes any District identifying marks, removes items from the library catalog, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a high quality collection.
- Processes library books, periodicals, software, equipment, and related media materials (e.g. enters into files, stamps with school stamp, barcodes, puts on spine labels and mylar covers, laminates paperback books, shelves materials, dates magazines, etc.) for the purpose of providing students and staff with a wide-variety of materials.
- Provides support for one-to-one computer devices (e.g. communicates with the Library and Media Specialist and building IT regarding damage or other issues, helps manage uninsured device collection, troubleshoots some computer and peripheral problems, assists with log-in issues, creates work orders for unsolved problems, circulates loaner devices for students and substitutes, supports circulation of devices at beginning and end of the school year, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring an efficient, effective, and supportive learning environment.
- Repairs and cleans books and materials for the purpose of a high quality library collection.
- Responds to inquiries of student and staff (e.g. availability of books, finding appropriate reference documents, status of overdue fines, computer/printer concerns, reservations, setup of equipment, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or direction as required.
Physical Demands: This job requires that the employee be able to: sit, stand, walk, speak, hear, use hands, fingers, reach with hands and fingers; bend, stoop, lift objects of at least ten pounds. Job requires the employee occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Visual ability requires mono and color vision, close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Guadalupe Centers, Inc. conforms to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, who fully and actively supports equal access for all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information or Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.