As a county-wide organization the Fleet Science Center is committed to leveraging STEM and STEM learning in support of community priorities and aspirations. To help achieve that commitment the Fleet is reshaping our on-site exhibition and programmatic experiences to be community centered by making a significant investment in new exhibitions. The Fleet Science Center’s Exhibit Design Manager supports this goal by coordinating the design and production of engaging STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) exhibits. This position requires a passionate and creative problem solver with demonstrated experience in designing experiential STEM exhibits that support our mission. The Exhibit Design Manager plays a critical role in crafting fun, memorable, and human-centered experiences that tell inspiring science stories with strong educational goals. Leading exhibit development committees, comprised of members of the Exhibits team and other departments, to achieve mission goals and objectives, is a critical function of this position. All duties will be approached in a manner consistent with the museum’s commitment to inclusivity, collaboration, and connectivity.
Do you enjoy tinkering and building your own gadgets from scratch? This role might be a great fit for you!
This is a full-time position, eligible for the Fleet's employee benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k, in addition to paid vacation, holidays and sick time. Also enjoy free admission, perks, & discounts at many other museums in Balboa Park, as well as complimentary Fleet passes monthly for friends and family!
Experience, education, or skills required of the incumbent in this position:
- Four plus years of experience in interactive exhibit work involving design, fabrication, and installation.
- Familiar with informal, inquiry-based, hands-on STEM learning, and science communication.
- Demonstrated familiarity with museum interpretation techniques.
- Excellent research, project planning, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within deadlines and budget guidelines.
- Bachelors degree in design, science, or related field form an appropriately accredited institution a plus.
- Experience in design, drafting, and/or computer-aided design (CAD and/or Vectorworks or other appropriate software) a plus.