Position: Director, Beacon Harlem
Reports to: Vice President, Youth Success
About the Program
Graham Windham’s Beacon Harlem Program offers a safe, academically enriching and stimulating environment for elementary and middle school children residing in Harlem, as well as enrichment, employment and athletic activities and opportunities for High School students and enrichment and community engagement opportunities and activities for Adults. The program works in conjunction with our host The Mahalia Jackson School (PS/MS 123) to provide a range of activities, classes, long-term and short-term community service opportunities and exposure to NYC cultural activities and events. During the school year, the Beacon Program partners with Graham’s Community School and PS/MS 123 to assist in the Extended Learning Time extended academic day, to develop specific strategies to address student and family issues including absenteeism, behavior and health/mental health. During the summer, the program provides free Summer Rising camp.
About the Position
The Beacon Program Director is the lead in overseeing all day-to-day operations of the Harlem Beacon. The Director serves a liaison and collaborator with the surrounding community. They also work with the School Principal and Assistant Principals, teachers, Community School Director and other Graham programs to insure that the students, and their families, needs are being met. In conjunction with the Vice President for Youth Success, the Director sets the expectations, tone, consistency and outcomes of the program.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- In partnership with Human Resources, manages the hiring and onboarding of staff, volunteers, interns, SYEP and co-locaters
- Coaches and develops the Harlem Beacon team
- Creates an inclusive and psychologically safe environment
- Builds programming and/or partnerships that are academically, social/emotionally and athletically engaging for children, youth, families and adults
- Works in partnership with Graham’s Community School and our host school to create a seamless support and enrichment system for the children, youth and families who attend the Beacon.
- Attends required meetings including those hosted by the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD), weekly Think Tank with school leadership and One Graham leadership sessions.
- Collaborates with programs across Graham and with external partners to offer a robust array of opportunities and resources for children, youth, families and adults based on their input.
- Partners with the school community on special events
- Represents the agency on relevant external committees and work groups
- Compiles program statistics and reports in a timely manner
- Ensures compliance with licensure, contract and private foundation requirements (i.e. the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and the New York City Department of Health)
- Manages the day-to-day administrative operations of the program including Fiscal, Human Resources, Purchasing and DYCD data-input
Full-Time Position. Graham Windham offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off, holiday pay, retirement savings plan, and much more.