WHO WE ARE:
Thinkery is where Austin’s children and their families come to enjoy play-based, inquiry-rich, hands-on learning experiences. We believe that innovative, play-based, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) learning experiences are a powerful way for children to develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and curiosity about the world around them. Our exhibits and programs encourage children—alongside their caregivers—to solve creative challenges, explore a variety of materials, and to develop new ways to complete unfamiliar projects. Through these activities, children gain the tools and confidence to develop and grow into enthusiastic, creative, lifelong STEAM learners and thinkers.
WHO YOU ARE:
The Guest Services (GS) Associate works with the Guest Services team by providing exemplary customer service. GS Associates assist guests in their Museum experience and maintain the safety and cleanliness of the Museum galleries by practicing Thinkery’s health and safety protocols which adhere to local, state, and federal guidelines to minimize the spread of COVID-19. This is a seasonal position working either 32-40 hours per week or 16-30 hours per week starting May 17th through September 12th.
- Provide excellent customer service to create a safe and fun experience.
- Support museum operations including:
- Opening and Closing procedures
- Check in and POS transactions for Admissions and Retail
- Monitor and maintain a safe and clean environment including cleaning and sanitizing frequently touched surfaces and gallery spaces, props and exhibits.
- Actively practice and remind others about proper protocol for social distancing and mask wearing compliance.
- Fulfill cross functional roles to support museum operations.
- Represent Thinkery’s key values of inclusion, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation, and creativity.
- Support a culture of cross organization communication, collaboration and information sharing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Problem solve and react positively to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, varied and demanding work environment.
- Excellent communication skills including listening and comprehension skills.
- Must be hands-on, team-oriented; attentive to detail.
- Schedule and availability reflects that the organization is a 7-day-a-week operation. Staff are expected to work weekends and holidays. Periodic duties outside of/in excess of regular work week schedule during seasonal high-volume times.
- GSA expected to work a minimum of 3 days/week.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience in customer service
- Experience working with children and families
- Spanish fluency preferred, knowledge of ASL a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position is active. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Observe and respond to the needs of guests, staff, and community partners.
- Move throughout the museum
- Manipulate and move exhibit components weighing up to 25 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level
- Clean and disinfect a variety of surfaces and props of various sizes at various heights.
- Communicate and exchange accurate information with guests, staff, and community partners in a variety of formats including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
- Identify and respond to safety hazards
- Work in outdoor environments
- If assigned to Admissions or Store: Operate a cash register and computer efficiently and accurately
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.