JOB TITLE: Botanic Gardens Summer Internship
DEPARTMENT: CRE/Botanic Gardens
SUPERVISOR: Horticulture Staff
SALARY: $15 per hour
Assists with the maintenance of plants and gardens in garden areas, conservatory, production greenhouses, and the annual flowerbeds. Sprays weeds and applies mulch. Provides for daily watering of plants in container gardens. Assists in plant propagation, watering, repotting, fertilization, and grooming. Plants annuals in beds, weeds beds, and blows walkways and maintains garden areas in a clean and safe condition. Interns participate in field trips to other public gardens and horticultural enterprises and must complete an assigned project.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare, plant, and maintain on and off-site annual flower beds and landscapes. Completes routine tasks such as weeding, mulching, watering, and deadheading.
- Maintain plants in production spaces; completes tasks such as transplanting, watering, and fertilization.
- Each intern will be assigned a special project that entails research, planning, and completion of a work product.
- Supervise volunteers in planting and maintaining on and off-site annual flower beds and landscapes.
- Assist public with diverse questions about horticulture, history, mission, and operation of Cheyenne Botanic Garden
- Work harmoniously with staff, volunteers and interns from all backgrounds, identities and ages, orientation, and abilities.
- Maintain a safe environment for the Botanic Gardens staff, volunteers, and visitors.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic horticultural practices.
- Knowledge of greenhouse operations, maintenance, and mechanical controls.
- Knowledge and ability to use technology including basic computer skills and word processing software.
- Strong communication skills with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to be organized, creative, and effective when priorities change rapidly due to changing conditions.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise reasonable judgment in decision making with minimal supervision..
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB
Must be in or planning to enter an undergraduate or graduate program focusing on horticulture, plant science or public garden management OR must possess experience in nursery, garden center, or agricultural work.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver's license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading, and writing. The employee is also required to maintain physical condition necessary for operating assigned equipment, walking, standing, kneeling, repeated bending or sitting for prolonged periods of time and lifting to 45 pounds. Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
Work in a variety of indoor and outdoor environmental conditions; cold, warm, humid, hot air may regularly occur; exposure to radiant energy and inclement weather; exposure to fertilizers, agricultural chemicals, and pest control agents. Outdoor environments in different seasons.