Glass Scientist (On-Site)
Who are we?
AGY is a highly specialized manufacturer of precision ultrafine glass fiber reinforcements used in advanced composites. The Aiken, SC plant produces approximately 1,000,000 miles of glass fiber reinforcement per day and operates on a 24/7/365 schedule. We are an agile, flexible, small-batch manufacturer able to meet the diverse technical requirements of our global client base. Our engineers and scientists have reinvented ultrafine glass fiber reinforcement manufacturing with proprietary, eco-friendly processes. Most notably, many of our production processes qualify as zero carbon footprint activities and the Aiken site has reduced its carbon footprint by 88% since 2002.
The Glass Scientist main objectives are to become intimately conversant with AGY’s fiberglass manufacturing business and meaningfully contribute to the technological aspects of the company’s next phase of growth. This will be accomplished by merging the candidate’s science and engineering skills and experience with AGY’s existing process capabilities and expertise to enable continued leadership in high performance glass fiber manufacture. The candidate is expected to grow into this position such that they contribute broadly and at a high level.
This position reports directly to the Manager, Materials Technology Group and ultimately to the Executive V.P. of Product Technology. This is a mid-level scientist/technologist position where the successful candidate will be mentored to succeed in the role of company’s next Glass Expert.
Why join our team?
- We are a fast moving, dynamic team that collaborates with each other in order to achieve success
- Work with an amazing team
- We are reshaping the industry and the way it thinks about glass fiber products for aerospace, thermoplastics, defense, electronics, and recreational uses
- $1,200 Annual Wellness Program and competitive medical, dental and vision benefits
Do these responsibilities describe what you do best?
- Interface and take direction from the Manager, Material Technology on glass related projects and assignments.
- Contribute to AGY Glass Technology effort by applying science and engineering to Operations, NBD and business functions.
- Contribute to business with new innovative, ideas and products.
Glass Lab functions
- Glass Chemistry Formulation and Melting
- Physical Property testing
- Mechanical Property testing
- Mathematical Modeling of Glass Composition and Property relationships
- Support Operations with XRF chemistry analysis and data interpretation
- Assist in the repair and maintain equipment, as needed
- Assist in coordinating Company’s Chemical Safety Regulatory Compliance Program
- Participate in expanding and maintaining Company’s Intellectual Property portfolio
- Contribute to Company’s ESG efforts