Position Type Full Time
Education Level 4 Year Accounting Degree
Travel % None
Job Shift Day
Job Categories Finance
Located on 10 peaceful acres in the heart of Nashville’s historic Music Row, Scarritt Bennett Center’s campus has been a place for justice and transformative education for more than a century. What began as a school for women missionaries in 1892 in Kansas City, MO, Scarritt Bennett Center resides on the campus of what eventually became Scarritt College for Christian Workers.
The legacy of Scarritt students, faculty, and staff in movements for justice such as women’s rights, desegregation, civil rights, international relations, and interfaith dialogue runs wide and deep. When the College closed in 1988, the campus became home to Scarritt Bennett Center, a place of hospitality, education about justice and equality, reconciliation and renewal, and cooperation and interaction within the ecumenical and global context. Rooted in mission, the Center is committed to the eradication of racism, empowerment of women, and spiritual formation. The campus is owned by United Methodist Women.
The Center’s breathtaking historic architecture, robust campus gardens, and convenient location in the heart of Nashville, combined with our commitment to justice and passion for creating a more just world, make Scarritt Bennett Center an exciting professional and personal choice.
Scarritt Bennett Center offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, company provided contribution to 403(b) plan, EAP and Disability plans, and paid time off.
Key Leadership Team member with an active participation in making strategic decisions affecting Scarritt-Bennett Center (SBC). Oversee all financial operations and direct corporate financial planning and structure. Work closely with the executive director to coordinate, analyze and report financial performance to the Leadership Team, finance committee and Board of Directors. Prepare financial forecasts for use with internal management and external parties. Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit firm and review firm’s performance. Participate in the vision and overall work of SBC.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
1. Manage and maintain all financial functions of SBC, including bank accounts, endowment investments, credit card processes, cash boxes and any other accounts that affect SBC revenue and expenses.
2. Ensure the full use of current hospitality management software (Maestro), and that all financial and tax reporting functions are maintained. Oversee and ensure reconciliation of all income and expense processes.
3. Manage and maintain the General Ledger, including but not limited to preparing the annual budget in collaboration with the Executive Director, the department heads and the finance committee. Provide budget and cashflow analysis reports monthly to all department heads. Prepare budget to actual analysis for finance committee meetings and work with the executive director to give clear financial information to the Board of Directors.
4. Participate on the SBC Leadership Team to ensure that leadership has real time insight into the financial picture, and to bring analysis and expertise to decision making. Engage in various aspects of SBC to gain full understanding of campus life.
5. Oversee accounts payable and accounts receivable processes by working with directors and vendors to ensure a timely process for payables, and with sales staff, to ensure timely recognition of payments and other income.
6. Ensure coverage of Worker’s Compensation insurance, Director’s and Officer’s Liability, General Liability and any requested Stop Gap Insurance policies. Provide documentation as necessary for the workers compensation audit.
7. Maintain relationships with bank representatives for general banking and investment needs as well as monitor investments to maximize return and minimize risk exposure. Maintain adequate cash balances. Responsible for maintaining any restricted fund balances. Review endowment investments with investment firm and finance committee to ensure investments meet the guidelines set forth by the United Methodist Women (UMW).
8. Work with external auditors for annual audit preparation and Form 990, including preparation of audit schedules, providing requested documentation and uploading documents.
9. Administer accounting systems, reporting functions and financial controls in compliance with GAAP, FSAB#17, OMB Circulars A-122 and A-133, audit standards, and any applicable IRS regulations.
10. Ensure accurate and timely filing of federally required documents (1099’s, 5500’s, etc.).
11. Manage all support service contracts (copier, conference call service, telephone & internet, office supplies) and equipment purchases. Monitor and review all contracts and ensure compliance.
12. Ensure Certificates of Liability insurance and W-9’s are procured for all vendors working on campus.
13. Maintain all operations permits and licenses as required, including but not limited to, elevators, fire systems, music, annual reports, Charitable Solicitation registration, hotel and restaurant.
14. Interface with the UMW requesting property grant reimbursement and maintain records of same.
15. Other duties as assigned by the executive director.