We are looking for energetic, friendly, and creative people. This is a wonderful opportunity for those looking for part-time work with plenty of room to grow.
The Gym Floor Assistant will help members with the use of the gym by making sure that the gym and its amenities are being used properly. The Gym Floor Assistant will encourage and ensure the safety of our members.
- Maintain cleanliness of facility and supplies as well as properly storing and organizing equipment/materials on site.
- Greet and welcome all participants, parents, and/or community members.
- Set up and takedown of the gymnasium for the specific sports that are being played.
- Check in all participants.
- Monitor and maintain the safety of all participants.
- Attend all staff meetings and training programs as specified.
- Understand, communicate, and enforce Park District rules and policies to participants and the public.
- Address any member behavior/disciplinary issues with the appropriate individuals.
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a positive public image by addressing questions and concerns from staff, patrons, participants, and parents immediately.
- Become familiar with participants; know their names, personalities, skills, and interests.
- Identify and observe equipment daily for possible maintenance needs and adjustments, report maintenance needs to Supervisor.
- Problem solves for situations that may arise in the gymnasium.
- Complete all paperwork as required including, but not limited to reports and logs.
- Occasionally assist with events and programs
- Complete other duties as assigned by Supervisor or other Park District administration.
Knowledge, Skill, and Work Experience Required:
- Knowledge of gym activities.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be organized, responsible, professional, and able to coordinate a wide variety of activities each week.
- Must have the ability to solve problems as they arise and be able to perform tasks without direct supervision.
- Must be highly motivated and able to assume a positive and active role in programming, even while working under potentially stressful conditions (hot or cold weather, upset or injured participants, etc.)
- Must have the ability to be firm with participants, when necessary, enforce park district rules, and make sound decisions in order to secure the safety and well-being of all campers, facilities, and equipment.
- Must be willing to work as a team! We are a team here at PDOP!
- Certification in advanced Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) within 3 months of employment and keep certification current. The District provides this training.
- 2 years of Gym Floor experience
- Experience working with a team.
Work Environment, Physical Demands and Considerations:
- Must have the ability to lift, push, and/or pull at least 40 pounds.
- Flexibility to assist with the physical set up and take down of programs.
- Environmental considerations can include but are not limited to extreme weather conditions and noise such as building construction.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and/or written instructions efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to communicate and represent the Park District in a professional manner.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Ability to follow safety guidelines and exercise judgment in all aspects of responsibility.
- Ability to resolve conflict safely, calmly, and effectively.
Internal: Employees of Park District
External: Patrons of Park District of Oak Park; residents of Oak Park, WSSRA, Partner Organizations including governmental and non-profit groups, and the Oak Park Business Community
Average number hours per week: 16-19 hours.
Hours will vary, Monday - Friday 3:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. 10:00 p.m. Saturday, 8:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m., 12:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m. 8:00 p.m., Sunday, 8:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m., 12:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, functions, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, functions, activities, or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer!