What is the DECC?
The Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC) is a collection of ten venues hosting conventions, meetings, sports, arts, and entertainment right on the waters of Lake Superior in vibrant Canal Park. The DECC offers spectacular views of the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge and excellent walkability.
Steps away from charming Canal Park and Downtown Duluth, guests enjoy shops, restaurants, and easy access to hotels. The Duluth Lakewalk and Bayfront Festival Park are just outside our doors.
Home to Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra, the Minnesota Ballet, UMD Men’s and Women’s Bulldog Hockey, the Olympic gold-winning Duluth Curling Club, and the William A. Irvin floating museum / Duluth Haunted Ship, the DECC is the heart of regional entertainment.
Our commitment to sustainability means that all the events we host bring economic and environmental benefits to our city.
We host events, create experiences, and drive our regional economy.
Technical Services Attendant
The Technical Services Attendant prepares, operates and maintains DECC owned audiovisual, sound and lighting equipment for events at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC). They are also responsible for running power to exhibitor booths and performing regular maintenance and replacements of lighting throughout the complex.
Requirements & Competencies
- General knowledge of sound, lighting, electrical, and computer systems.
- Able to learn and safely operate lift equipment, ladders, and other facility equipment.
- Able to work at varying heights.
- Ability to adapt to changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to move quickly throughout the complex when needed or answering radio calls.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) OR one to three months related experience or training.
Essential Functions (Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.)
- Set-up, strike, and maintain electrical portable wiring and equipment for events.
- Operate lifts, ladders and facility equipment as needed.
- Coordinate with supervisor to manage workload and prioritize accordingly.
- Make minor adjustments and repairs to equipment and notify supervisor(s) when a repair is required or there is a malfunction.
- Position, install, and connect equipment such as microphones, amplifiers, and lighting.
- Maintain, replace, or repair DECC lighting network.
- Ensure all tasks are completed following safety guidelines and protocols.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
- Complete training as required by the supervisor.
- Assist team and/or other departments with tasks, including light cleaning, moving chairs or signage, and event related functions.
- Additional duties as assigned.
This position is part-time with a schedule based on DECC event needs. This position will have day, afternoon, and/or evening shifts scheduled on various days of the week and may include some holidays. Approximately 20-30 hours per week. The DECC cannot always schedule a definite ending time due to the nature of the events, but an estimated time will be provided.
The Technical Services Attendant must provide their own black or khaki slacks (jeans are not allowed). The DECC will provide polos or t-shirts with the DECC logo.
This position does not require supervisory responsibilities.
The Technical Services Attendant will be in varying work spaces based on the needs of each event. They will be frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather conditions, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally very loud. The responsibilities and pace will vary and the Technical Services Attendant will need to adapt quickly.
The Technical Services Attendant is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle equipment, feel, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, squat, or crawl and should be comfortable with heights. The Technical Services Attendant is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move over 100 pounds.
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Successful completion of reference checks
- Successful completion of a background check
- Successful completion of a drug test, if applicable
Work Authorization and Security Clearance Requirements
The DECC uses USCIS Form I-9 to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment. On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee is required to present the DECC with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization at the time of hire. The DECC will examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s).
The list of acceptable documents can be provided by Human Resources.
This position is at will. This means if you are offered the position and accept, your employment with the DECC is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or the DECC, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time. Nothing in this job description or any other policy of the DECC shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way, the at will employment status of this position.
The at will employment status of an employee of the DECC may be modified only in a written employment agreement with that employee which is signed by the Executive Director or the Chair of the DECC Board of Directors.
By your signature below, you acknowledge your understanding that your employment with the DECC is at will, and that nothing in this description is intended to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied.
The DECC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualification and ability. The DECC does not discriminate in employment practices on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. The DECC will follow any state or local law that provides greater protection. This policy is neither exhaustive nor exclusive. The DECC is committed to taking all other actions necessary to ensure equal employment opportunity for persons with disabilities in accordance with the ADA and all other applicable laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Type of Position
Type of Employment
Director of Building Services