Located in East Garfield Park, Covenant House Illinois provides youth (ages 18-24) experiencing homelessness with shelter and safety, trust and community, and a better tomorrow.
We are growing and searching for compassionate people to join our team of dynamic, committed folks who are dedicated to providing love and support for all youth in need. CHIL provides professional growth opportunities, competitive salaries, educational assistance, shift differential, and excellent benefits (12 paid holidays, paid sick time, 3 weeks vacation). Additional perks include a signing bonus after 90 days of employment, professional development stipend, on-site training as well as free, on-site secure parking. If you believe every young adult deserves high-quality care, see what joining the Covenant House Illinois team means.
In consultation with the Kitchen Coordinator, the Cook will prepare balanced- nutrition meals, snacks, and follow food health and safety procedures. Help assemble donated foods, arrange for special diets. Help coordinate meals catered by outside volunteer groups. Keep kitchen clean-
- Prepare amazing, delicious daily meals, i.e breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Maintain good sanitation and safety practices, including personal appearance and hygiene.
- Follow recipes, including measuring, weighing, mixing and prepping ingredients
- Steam, grill, boil, bake or fry meats, fish, vegetables, and other ingredients.
- Cook for special request, events and other functions as instructed by Kitchen Coordinator
- Exam quality of food donations and store appropriately
- Serve food to youth
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of refrigerator, freezers, stove and other food preparation equipment.
- Notifies Kitchen Coordinator of needed repairs
- Performs other duties as necessary or requirements as assigned by the Kitchen Coordinator or the Director of Administration and Operation