As a Medical Transporter and Direct Support Professional, you will play a vital role in providing comprehensive care and support to people with disabilities during transportation to and from doctors' appointments. Additionally, you will offer assistance and advocacy during medical visits, ensuring their comfort, well-being, and understanding of healthcare procedures to better support the person as needed throughout the day. Your dedication and compassion will contribute to enhancing the quality of life for individuals with developmental disabilities.
1. Safe Transportation: Safely drive Arc participants with disabilities to and from medical appointments, ensuring their security and comfort throughout the journey.
2. Direct Support: Provide hands-on support to Arc of Acadiana participants during medical visits or as needed, assisting with mobility, communication, and other needs as required, such as medication administration.
3. Advocacy: Serve as an advocate for Arc participants, ensuring their preferences, concerns, and medical needs are understood and respected by healthcare professionals.
4. Empathetic Care: Demonstrate empathy, patience, and understanding when addressing the needs and emotions of clients during medical appointments.
5. Communication: Maintain clear and effective communication with Arc participants, their families, medical staff, and other involved parties to coordinate appointments and share relevant information.
6. Record Keeping: Accurately document transportation activities, medical visit notes, and any significant updates regarding the participant’s health and well-being.
7. Crisis Management: Handle potential emergencies or challenging situations at medical appointments with composure and adherence to established procedures.
8. Personal Care: Assist with personal care tasks, if necessary, such as feeding, toileting, and administering medication, following proper protocols.
9. Training and Development: Stay updated on best practices in developmental disability care, medical procedures, and any specific needs of the participants.