This position reports and writes stories of interest to readers across multiple platforms including print, online, mobile and social media for the Post and Courier or one of the Community Newspaper. The stories can be assigned by a supervisor or self-generated and approved by a supervisor.
- Produce story ideas from the assigned beat or from conversations with sources and other members of the community.
- Write solidly researched stories that are clear and concise, using words, sentence construction and organizational format that aid clarity. Complement stories with supporting documents.
- Actively manage social media accounts, posting and/or uploading several times each work day regarding the community, actively engaging the community members.
- Develop and maintain photo and digital skills
- Produce work that is accurate in fact, tone and implication. Understands libel law and the rules governing plagiarism.
- Effectively learn and use all job technology and systems.
- Learn and follow all department and company policies and procedures.
- Meet all assigned deadlines.
- Develop a list of knowledgeable, diverse sources.
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or English preferred
- Experience in AP style writing
- Flexibility to occasionally adjust hours to cover breaking news or weekend and evening events
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, reliable and insured vehicle
- Reliable access to internet service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong writing and editing in AP style skills
- Excellent social media skills
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Good customer relation skills with the ability to easily and professionally speak and work with readers and the public daily
- Ability to react quickly to breaking news
- Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- The ability to Knowledge of the community and surrounding cities a plus
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced ever-evolving industry and workplace
- Strong, professional work ethic
- Ability to work independently remotely, if necessary, in a suitable workspace that meets safety guidelines
Physical Requirements, Work Environment and Travel:
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds.
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to adverse outside environmental conditions.
Local travel is required.
Evening Post Publishing is an equal opportunity, drug free employer.
Please attach writing samples to your application, or send them to email@example.com