Freire Wilmington - Instructional Coach
Freire Charter School - Wilmington is currently seeking a full-time High School Instructional Coach for the 2023- 2024 school year. Freire staff members are forward-thinking team players who are passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who value diversity, are highly motivated, and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students.
An Instructional Coach is an integral part of a schools staff. Working together with teachers, a coach's work can have a significant impact on student achievement. Coaches work explicitly with the schools administration to identify and support teachers who need instructional help. The goal of an instructional coach is to facilitate teacher growth and development in ways that lead to higher student achievement. Our goal at Wilmington is that coaches use a high-touch point, actionable approach that begins with classroom observations followed by varied strategies such as co-planning, modeling, role-playing and interclass visitation. Each coach can expect to work with about 8-12 teachers and will not be a classroom teacher. They can expect to co-teach alongside the new teachers that they work with as a method of observation or have a small teaching load.
Their day will consist of working with and supporting the instruction and instructional leaders in the building. In addition to working with teachers, coaches will directly report to and work with the academic leader they are assigned to. They will support in the additional roles that come with an instructional leadership position including (but not limited to) teaching some courswork, scheduling, hiring, project management, test coordination, professional development planning, IEP work, and brainstorming solutions to problems.
Successful candidates will have the following attributes:
- Strong content knowledge or eagerness to learn the content knowledge in the given field (Humanities and Humanities Electives)
- Experience coaching and developing teachers of all experience levels
- 5 years of teaching experience with concrete data to demonstrate student achievement and growth
- A desire to hold people accountable for the betterment of our school community
- Strong organizational skills
- The desire to take initiative
- Interest in being a school leader
- Strong relationships with families, students, their peers, and all other key stakeholders
- Interest in developing and leading professional development sessions
About Freire Wilmington
- Freire Charter School Wilmington opened its doors in 2015. Freire Wilmington is all about Graduation x 2: graduation not just from high school, but from college, too. The proven Freire model provides five years of challenging, college-preparatory academics that help guarantee our students success at Freire, in college, and beyond.
- 98% of Freire Wilmington's first graduating class the Class of 2019 were accepted to college, with an average of more than 4 college acceptances per student. The Classes of 2020 and 2021 faced a unique set of challenges with COVID-19, and more students opted to take a gap year due to uncertainty about the pandemics impact on college. The Class of 2021 made impressive strides toward their college goals with 79% of graduates accepted to at least one college and more than $4.6 million earned collectively in scholarships and aid.
- Situated in the heart of Wilmington, Delaware, the Freire Wilmington experience is intentional about creating a safe space, delivering innovative instruction that prioritizes teaching theory as well as practicality. Freire Wilmington also prides itself on empowering teachers. Teachers bring their own creativity, experience, and passion into the classroom. With support from your peers and leaders, you'll be encouraged to innovate and take risks in order to design student-focused lessons that lead to deeper learning and student engagement.
- At Freire Wilmington, students engage in culturally relevant scholarship, grow into community leaders, and leave our building ready to do the necessary work for both the community and society at large. Our staff commits to supporting the needs of each student to propel them forward. Our highest priority is guaranteeing that students feel seen, heard, and valued both in and out of the classroom. Our scholars are the next generation of leaders, critical thinkers, and change agents.
- believe in doing whatever it takes to ensure our students are successful in college and beyond.
- believe that student achievement can be measured in tangible ways.
- believe that self-reflection and growth is essential to improving their craft.
- believe in actively building a positive, enthusiastic, and collaborative school community.
Freire offers a very competitive salary and benefits package, a strong commitment to developing all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning, and the opportunity to work with the best students in the nation.