High School Social Studies Teacher - 2024-2025 School Year
Freire Charter School Wilmington is seeking a full-time High School Social Studies Teacher for the 2024 - 2025 school year! Freire staff members are forward-thinking team players who are passionate about working with and unleashing the potential of urban youth. We seek candidates who value diversity, are highly motivated, and who will demand excellence from themselves and their students.
We believe that the most equitable thing we can do for our students is to provide them with high-quality standards-aligned materials. We also know that our teachers know their students best, and we trust our teachers to be able to make instructional decisions about how to implement the materials in order to ensure that all kids are able to learn at a deep level. Our understanding of what that looks like is constantly evolving, but we are committed to doing so in all content areas.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies and technologies to engage and motivate students in the learning process, and to promote critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration.
- Assess and monitor student progress through various methods, including tests, quizzes, projects, and presentations, and provide timely feedback and support to enhance their learning and address their academic needs.
- Collaborate with other teachers, staff, and administrators to ensure the overall success of the school and its students.
- Participate in professional development. Our Freire teachers engage in monthly staff-wide professional development and regular coaching and mentor support.
- Create a safe, respectful, and positive classroom environment that fosters students' academic and personal growth, and promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- At least 2 years of previous successful experience working with diverse student populations is strongly preferred.
- Valid state teaching certification or the ability and willingness to obtain certification.
- Excellent communication and relational skills to interact effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators, and to promote a culture of respect, responsibility, excellence, collaboration, and social justice.
- Ability to work well individually and as part of a team.
- Commitment to Freire’s mission, vision, and values.
Compensation and Benefits
Freire remains a top tier competitive employer by offering premium medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans. We offer a very competitive salary, (comparable to salary scales of local DE school districts), a quality benefits package, and a strong commitment to developing all staff as professionals invested in life-long learning. Click here to learn more.
About Freire Schools
Freire Schools has 23 years of success with raising student achievement and preparing historically underserved students for college. We're a network of four schools with one mission! Our students are at the center of all that we do, and we’re looking for educators who have an undeniable belief that every student who walks through our doors is capable of success.
Our mission is to provide a college-preparatory education that equips students with the knowledge, skills, and character to succeed in college and beyond.
Freire Wilmington’s Impact and Growth
- Across the network, at least 95% of our Class of 2023 were accepted to college. Students were accepted to 151 unique colleges and universities – including the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell University, and 30 historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs).
According to the 2022 U.S. News and World Report rankings, Freire Wilmington is the #1 non-selective public charter high school in Delaware.
The longer students attend Freire Wilmington, the better they perform. In 2018-19, juniors who enrolled at Freire Wilmington for at least three years were significantly more likely to score proficient on reading and math assessments compared to juniors who attended for just one or two years (47% proficient vs 20% in ELA and 22% proficient vs 12% in Math).
- Expanded Facilities: In winter 2023, Freire Wilmington will break ground on a new gymnasium featuring spectator seating, locker rooms, and community gathering spaces. We anticipate that this facility will open for student use by the end of the 2023-24 school year!
Freire Schools Values
The core values of Freire schools are centered around empowering students to become critical thinkers and problem solvers in a community of mutual respect, openness, and a commitment to peace.
EQUITY: Freire schools aims to promote social justice by providing quality, accessible education regardless of their background or socio-economic status.
LOVE: We insist that every member of our community be accepted at face value, without judgment, and be supported in inhabiting their fullest self. Our connections create our community. As a Freire Family, our shared struggles, joy, challenges, and successes give us strength.
CRITICAL THINKING: Freire schools prioritize inquiry-based learning, which involves encouraging students to ask questions, explore their interests, and question the status quo.
DIVERSITY: We embrace and celebrate our differences, because we know they make us stronger as a community and as individuals.
For questions about career opportunities with Freire Schools, please contact email@example.com.