Reports to: President and Executive Director, Center for American Progress Action Fund
Staff reporting to this position: Digital Advocacy team
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 9/10
Minimum compensation: $140,000/$195,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress seeks a highly motivated Vice President or Senior Vice President of Digital Advocacy with the ability to develop and manage a multifaceted digital communications and engagement program that helps advance and achieve the organization’s goals. The Vice President/Senior Vice President will work to position the Center for American Progress Action Fund (CAP Action)—a multi-issue advocacy organization—as a hub within the progressive community. They will work closely with partners to develop and disseminate content across a range of issues and to advance a clear progressive narrative across digital platforms. This individual will manage one of the largest and most effective digital teams in progressive advocacy with a unique focus on maximizing organic digital communications.
The ideal candidate will have a strategic perspective on how to develop effective digital content and campaigns that can break through in a noisy media environment. They will possess strong leadership and management skills to ensure a large team is innovative and collaborative and continues to generate results through a data-driven approach. The Vice President/Senior Vice President will work effectively across teams and departments. Candidates who can demonstrate significant initiative to generate and execute on ideas and to seize strategic opportunities are highly desired.
This individual will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Vice President/Senior Vice President will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Build and execute strategies to increase the overall reach and impact of progressive messaging and content online.
- Build strong working relationships with digital leadership across the progressive landscape, including in Congress and the administration, to create alignment on messaging.
- Develop and lead the implementation of digital strategic messaging initiatives, ensuring alignment with the organization's overall communication objectives and social media trends.
- Position CAP Action as a key player in engaging creators and influencers to produce on-message content in effective, authentic ways.
- Spearhead content creation, amplification, and distribution strategies across digital platforms that reach millions of people within the organization’s priority audiences.
- Effectively manage an overall team of more than 20 members, including creative, engagement, and partnership verticals.
- Establish a presence for the organization’s strategic priorities, voice, and key messaging on new platforms.
- Work with CAP Action’s President and Executive Director to identify more donors and to cultivate and manage the donor community to support the organization’s digital work.
- Lead cross-department initiatives as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least 10 years of experience in digital and content strategy for the Vice President position, and at least 12 years of experience for the Senior Vice President position, including at least three years in a senior management role.
- Proven success collaborating and communicating across teams to achieve organizationwide goals.
- Strong management skills, including the ability to provide clear direction to staff and ample support while troubleshooting challenges.
- An ability to develop and shape persuasive digital content that inspires action.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with extensive experience managing content approvals.
- Expertise in editing video scripts and a knack for storytelling through the medium.
- A keen eye for design and ability to optimize creative strategy online.
- Creative commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Broad range of experience working with social analytics platforms and customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills, including the ability to foster a workplace culture committed to respect, friendliness, and collegial support.
- Solutions-oriented approach that focuses on opportunities and possibilities while providing constructive feedback on obstacles.
- Deep commitment to progressive values and politics.
- Demonstrated aptitude at being self-sufficient and self-directed.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union. The minimum salary for the Vice President position is $140,000 and the minimum salary for the Senior Vice President position is $195,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.