We are currently accepting applications for our Youth Employment Program (Intern Program) at Evergreen and Rush Creek Lodges. The program seeks to provide an opportunity for young adults to start on a career path that will help them on the path to self-sufficiency. Program participants will be given an entry level position within one of our hospitality departments where they can learn the value of work through hands-on instruction in a supportive environment. No previous work experience necessary. Come with a willingness to work, grow, and experience the beauty Yosemite. Although the program runs year-round, the bulk of our hiring occurs in spring in preparation for a peak summer season. Applications are accepted year-round. Those chosen for the program will be placed as internship positions become available.
The Youth Employment Program consists of four core tenets:
1. Work: 16-weeks of employment at Evergreen Lodge (bordering Yosemite National Park) in one of the following jobs: kitchen utility, store clerk, housekeeper, busser, recreation assistant, or maintenance.
2. Community: Live and work in a remote location in a diverse community of hospitality professionals.
3. Outdoor Recreation: Weekly hikes and other outdoor adventures (camping, rafting, swimming, etc.)
4. Support: Individualized, one-on-one support including training on life skills, working towards a personal goal, and planning for life after the Evergreen. Mandatory savings program with minimum 50% of earnings put in savings.
- Positions start at current minimum wage with 35-40 hours per week with opportunities for overtime
- Meals and housing are provided for a fixed weekly cost and deducted from your paycheck (includes shared dorm room, three meals per day, utilities, laundry, long distance calls, and internet)
- Additional time outside of work hours spent in weekly participation in four tenets of the program
- We hire interns on a staggered schedule. Our first interns arrive in March and we will continue hiring an intern each month through September.
EVERGREEN & RUSH CREEK'S INTERN PROGRAM
In addition to its primary function as tourist Lodges, the Evergreen & Rush Creek run a Youth Employment Program in which 18-24 year-old young adults from urban backgrounds join our staff for a program of career-oriented training and work experience in a healthy, supportive community, coupled with exposure to outdoor and recreational life experiences.
Although providing a great guest experience is our first priority, our Intern Program is central to what we do at the both Lodges, and we are proud to run an enterprise with both a business and a social mission. Our Program's success hinges on our ability to find exceptional managers and hourly staff who provide support and mentoring for our interns. Those who are most successful and happy at the Evergreen & Rush Creek are genuinely excited about helping others and feel our Intern Program enriches their job, rather than adding an additional burden to an already challenging operating role.
Evergreen Lodge is also a founding Certified B Corporation, having met rigorous, independent standards of social and environmental performance. Rush Creek has also become a certified B Corporation as well, working like the Evergreen to use business as a force for good.
ABOUT THE EVERGREEN LODGE
The Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite is located on 22 acres bordering Yosemite National Park. The lodge is highly recommended by Fodor's, called a 'Hidden Gem' by Sunset Magazine, and described by Frommer's as "the classic Yosemite experience." Built in 1921, Evergreen Lodge has always featured cabins in the woods, a retail store, an excellent restaurant and a classic tavern. In 2002, the lodge was purchased and underwent a major expansion and modernization, reopening in 2004 with 48 new guest cabins, guest facilities, recreation programs and both on/off-site staff and manager housing. The lodge again expanded in 2009, adding 24 additional guest cabins (for a total of 90) and completing a variety of facilities and public space upgrades. The expanded Evergreen retains its original warmth, character and personal touch while providing the best all-around lodging and recreational facilities in the Yosemite area. The Evergreen provides great career opportunities for talented staff and managers. Since the lodge has a significant recreational focus, we seek staff and managers who are excited about the outdoors and lead a healthy, active lifestyle.
ABOUT RUSH CREEK LODGE
Rush Creek Lodge is the first new resort to join the Yosemite area in decades, and is located just 1/2 mile from Yosemite's Highway 120 entrance and 7 miles from the Evergreen Lodge. Set on 20 woodland acres, this hillside 'destination within a destination' boasts a grand main lodge and a mix of 143 lodge rooms, suites and two-bedroom hillside villas, all featuring a deck overlooking nature, the majority with sunset views. Rush Creek also offers a restaurant, tavern, expansive pool area with poolside bar, game room, guest lounge, event space, guided recreation and more. Like Evergreen, Rush Creek provides gracious and friendly service, top quality facilities with both private and communal settings, and a wide array of activities for guests to enjoy their time at the lodge and to explore the Yosemite area. Rush Creek is able to expand the Youth Program, environmental mission, and meaningful approach to hospitality that began at Evergreen Lodge. And like Evergreen, Rush Creek offers both on and off-site housing for staff and managers.