Status: Minor Part-Time, Non Exempt, At-will
Available: 4:00pm – 9:00pm, Wednesdays and /or Thursdays
Session Duration: August 2020 through June 2021
About the APJCC:
The Addison-Penzak JCC of Silicon Valley is a nonprofit community center that welcomes people of all faiths. We provide social, cultural, educational and recreational services for the entire community. The APJCC Fitness Center is the winner of Metro Silicon Valley's "Best Health Club" 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, & 2017. Our 20,000 square foot fitness center is filled with state-of-the-art equipment. We are open to all faiths and backgrounds and our diverse community offer a wide variety of programming opportunities for every level of fitness.
Overview of the Role:
The role of the Begged Kefet teacher is to teach Hebrew to students and develop their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. In addition, the Beged Kefet teacher will also implement a Hebrew curriculum that will focus on Israeli Culture, songs, literature, art and Judaic holidays and traditions. This is an accredited Hebrew Language program taught to children in grades K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create and implement lesson plans for each class based on curriculum program goals. Required to teach 100 hours per High School accreditation rules.
- Assign, collect and evaluate appropriate homework assignments
- Update on-line school record system with assignment information, attendance tracking and grades based on completed assignments, on a monthly basis, in order to meet accreditation requirements
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings with Head of School to review lesson plan offerings, student progress and parent concerns
- Attend teacher workshops as needed
- Conduct orientation meeting with parents to review academic goals for the school year
- Work with parents if a child is struggling with class material to review concerns and identify a solution; involve the Head of School when relevant
- Generate progress reports twice a year and communicate student progress to parents
- Organize and host several parties during the school year focused on various Jewish Holiday themes
- Post class summary documentation (feedback, photos, homework assignments and grades) on-line after each class to keep parents up to date with school progress
- Create and actively promote a comfortable and welcoming environment where every participant is treated with dignity and respect, in a friendly, personalized manner
- Be a role model to children and staff by maintaining a positive attitude when interacting with children.
- Handle and address parent concerns and questions promptly and appropriately; informing Head of School when relevant
- Represent the APJCC in a professional manner and provides excellent customer service
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management