The position of Academic Advisor is a full-time position of 40 hours per week and provides advisement on the policies and procedures of the degree programs, with primary attention to the academic curriculum.
PRIMARY ESSENTIAL Functions:
- General Advising
- Advise a caseload of up to 250 students across bachelor and master degree programs, including online architecture
- Address school, work, and home/family life issues that may impact student success
- Assess student needs and make referrals to other BAC resources, as needed
- Provide guidance to students on the policies and procedures of the institution, as outlined in the BAC Catalog
- Clearly document meetings, maintain records, and abide by confidentiality standards in compliance with FERPA regulations
- Attend bi-weekly Student Support Committee Meetings
- Reach out and counsel students who receive Academic Warnings
- Conduct Academic Clearances for Portfolio Review eligibility
- Course Sequencing
- Assist students in selecting appropriate courses based on their individual curriculum
- Counsel students on appropriateness of add, drop, and withdrawal decisions
- Case Management of Students on Probation
- Complete Contract for Educational Progress (CEP) with each student on probation
- Conduct follow-up meetings as required by CEP
- Track probation students to report outcomes each semester.
Team and Interpersonal Skills: Success in this position requires proven ability to develop professional positive rapport with other team members including support staff and senior staff.
Service Orientation: Success in this position requires a service-oriented perspective in which, to the greatest extent possible, students and other employees are treated in such a way as to feel valued and well served in their contacts with a professional representative of the BAC.
Confidentiality and Discretion: Success in this position requires the ability not only to maintain the confidentiality of student and employee records, but also the ability to discern when it is appropriate to divulge privileged, if not necessarily confidential, information.
EDUCATIONAL criteria: Earned bachelor degree required. Master degree in related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Prior experience in higher education, preferred. Those with experience or interest in disability services are strongly encouraged to apply.