Reports to: Director, State and Local Government Affairs
Department: Advocacy and Outreach
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4/5
Minimum compensation: $62,000/$68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress is seeking a Manager or Senior Manager of State and Local Government Affairs. This position will focus its work on helping grow and maintain American Progress’ relationships with state and local elected officials, their staff, and key partners. The Government Affairs team works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. The team also works to promote the work of American Progress’ Advocacy and Outreach department and policy teams with the progressive community at large.
This individual will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Manager or Senior Manager will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to state and local affairs and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Work with American Progress policy teams to develop strategies for helping state and local leaders with the implementation of progressive policies and initiatives that align with organization priorities.
- Work under the direction of the Director of State and Local Government Affairs to initiate, manage, and coordinate outreach to state and local elected officials, agencies, and progressive partners.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work products by helping to develop and execute dissemination strategies to governors, other state and local elected officials, and staff.
- Develop legislative and communications outreach strategies to further American Progress’ crosscutting priorities with external partners.
- Manage and grow strategic partnerships with state and local officials, membership organizations that represent them, and other progressive allies to further American Progress’ policy goals and engagement.
- Produce policy outreach materials, internal tracking sheets, and other materials necessary to carry out job functions; help develop contact lists and internal databases to carefully track state and local work.
- Represent American Progress with governors, other state and local elected officials, and staff, including establishing and maintaining relationships at all levels of government.
- Help advance American Progress’ policy priorities at the state and local legislative and executive levels by working with state and local governments, elected officials, and their staff to drive and implement the organization’s policy ideas into regulations and legislation.
- Work with American Progress’ Advocacy and Outreach teams to further its digital and communications engagement with state and local elected officials and their staff.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ president and CEO as well as its policy staff as expert witnesses for state and local hearings and meetings.
- Develop and help oversee state- and local-focused events that uplift and amplify initiatives of elected officials and advocates along with external partners.
- Work with policy teams to integrate external campaign activities with the Center for American Progress Action Fund to maximize impact.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting other members of the Government Affairs team.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and professional experience; a master’s degree is a plus.
- At least three to five years of experience working with the executive branch, a congressional office, and/or the office of a state or local elected official or comparable experience is required for the Manager position. Experience with state and/or local elected officials is preferred. At least five years of experience is required for the Senior Manager position.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with state and local branches of government and relevant organizations.
- Understanding of state and local policy issues and political landscapes.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Experience working with political campaigns is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFTPE Local 70. The minimum salary for the Manager position is $62,000 and the minimum salary for the Senior Manager position is $68,000.
American Progress’ hybrid work policy is posted on our Jobs page. Please visit this page for updates. Any changes to this policy will also be communicated at the time of hire.