The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW (Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases Grant (ELC))
The Bureau of Division Management & Systems Coordination (DMSC), part of the Division of Disease Control (DDC), is composed of the Informatics, Data and Outbreak Response teams which are responsible for the infectious disease surveillance systems, electronic laboratory reporting workflow and health information exchange. DMSC supports all other DDC bureaus with monitoring and analyzing trends in disease data, used for the recognition, prevention, and control of infectious diseases.
We are seeking to fill positions in the Division of Disease Control that will provide key support for DOHMH’s work of detecting, tracking, investigating, and preventing COVID-19 and other infectious diseases in New York City. It is expected that each position will work 35 hours per week.
- Design, implement, test, deploy, and document statistical, machine learning, and deep learning models, forecasts, and related artifacts
- Create and present reproducible data visualizations in R or Python
- Design, implement, test, deploy, document, and help secure inbound data pipelines using the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) specification from Health Level 7 (HL7)
- Design, build, and document scalable hybrid technology architecture using both on-premise and cloud resources on Amazon Web Services, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Perform data extraction, transfer, load, mining, cleaning, and quality assurance, using automated scripts
- Identify, explore, and help build emerging free, open source technologies
- Propose and implement improvements to the DOHMH data science infrastructure and processes