POSITION SUMMARY OVERVIEW
Crisis Hotline Counselor provides crisis intervention, emotional support, danger assessment, safety planning, shelter placement, and information and referral to domestic and sexual violence survivors through two 24 hour hotlines.
Local Travel: All travel - in the field.
- Communicate with Coordinator and other Hotline staff on the team regarding case management and other issues.
- Attend mandatory monthly meetings and trainings with Hotline & Crisis Intervention Services Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide crisis intervention, emotional support, information & referral, education, support, and advocacy to survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
- Conducts danger assessments and creates safety plans with survivors in high risk cases
- Provide shelter screenings and coordination of shelter placement and emergency transportation of clients.
- Make CPS and APS reports as required and needed.
- Keeps accurate client and hotline records for monthly reports.
- Communicate with on-call staff including Coordinators, hospital accompaniment counselors and community partners.
- Communicate with HAWC’s answering service to relay and respond to messages.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work or Criminal Justice
Experience: One year of experience working in a social services setting
Language: Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
Computer Skills: Experienced in Microsoft Office specifically Excel and Outlook and experience working with a database
Certificates & Licenses: Texas driver’s license with a good driving record; ability to travel to off-site locations utilizing personal transportation
Ability to stand and walk around for extended periods of time is required. Employee will also need to need to squat or bend, reach outward or upward to effectively discharge job duties.
Job incumbent must be able to lift/carry and/or push/pull up to 40 lbs.
Essential Function Statement
The Houston Area Women’s Center has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions are included with the tasks. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Our Mission: The Houston Area Women's Center works to end domestic and sexual violence and supports all in building safe and healthy lives through advocacy, counseling, education, shelter and support services.
The primary work location for the incumbent in this position is at the agency's education and administration building, residential building, in the field and working from home.
EOE Statement: Houston Area Womens Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, gender, race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity or any other illegal grounds
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, tasks or skills. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by manager as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the agency reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the agency may deem appropriate. Should such duties become routine, the description may be revised at any time.