PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST - NEW KARNER ROAD - ALBANY, NY - PART TIME - 20 HOURS/WEEK
The OnTrackNY Program serves adolescents and young adults who are within two years of experiencing the onset of non-affective psychosis. This position will work as part of anOnTrackNY team with program participants, family members, and other team members. The Peer Specialist will use his or her lived experience to contribute to treatment planning for each participant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Duties and responsibilities are carried out in various settings, including at the OnTrackNY program site, in the community, or in the hospital. The Peer Specialist is expected to transport program participants as needed in his/her personal vehicle.
- Use his/her personal recovery story to instill hope and demonstrate goal attainment, using selective self-disclosure about lived experience with mental health problems, substance use, and other aspects of their lives, maintaining a primary focus on the issues participants present
- Enhance initial outreach, engagement and retention efforts to help participants and families stay connected to the program
- Assist in engagement and retention activities to promote optimum involvement with the team, including helping team to maintain a youth-focused, recovery-oriented approach to outreach before and after participants enroll in the program
- Help individuals understand psychosis and develop and practice skills to help with illness management (individually or in groups)
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication skills and the ability to empathize with, relate to and effectively work with participants of mental health services
- Demonstrate excellent judgment and ability to understand boundaries when working with participants of mental health services and colleagues
- Participate in activities related to community awareness of recovery and stigma reduction
- Participate in outreach and recruitment activities with the team, forging relationships with community providers and helping to convey the “spirit of OnTrackNY”
- Provide concrete and social supports to clients and families through case management helping to support participant’s efforts towards returning to school or work
- Aid participants and families as they transition from OnTrackNY services
- Attend and participate in in-person team meetings (weekly) and consultation calls/trainings with OnTrackNY Central offices
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires a High School Diploma or GED
Work requires over 50% community travel/visits.
If you’ve got the talent, drive and desire to make a real difference in your community, you need to be a part of Northern Rivers Family of Services. We’re a family of human service agencies united in our passion to help the children, adults, and families of the Capital Region and beyond.
Our employees receive a generous time off and health care package, tuition reimbursement, loan repayment assistance, free training/CEU opportunities, flexible work schedule, and much more!
Apply today to become part of our team!
Northern Rivers is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
The Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.