Hart Crowser is an industry-leading consulting firm with nearly 50 years of consulting experience serving the environmental, natural resources, and geotechnical markets. Our combined staff of 120+ scientists, engineers, and supporting professionals offers unparalleled expertise serving municipalities, states, ports, and transportation, building, mining, power, and water/wastewater markets.
As a member of the Hart Crowser team, in an employee-owned firm, you’ll have the exciting opportunity to establish and grow the environmental services practice in Portland, Oregon and help propel your career. In this position, Hart Crowser offers collaboration with other senior environmental scientists and engineers, promotes the development of your skills, and encourages you to tailor your experience to build a practice with interesting and challenging projects. With excellent health benefits, a generous 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Hart Crowser, Inc. is currently seeking a Field Geologist for our Environmental Services Division in Portland, Oregon. The position will focus on field investigations related to the assessment, investigation, and remediation of contaminated sites in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Work will include planning, coordinating, and implementing field activities with our diverse private and public client base, including Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) staff under Hart Crowser’s contract with DEQ as well as projects for a diverse private and public client base. Responsibilities include maintenance and care of field equipment, organizing and performing field investigations, and office work tabulating information and reporting field activities. The role may include supporting Hart Crowser’s local natural resource practice, which includes performing boat-based monitoring and potentially boat operation – that work is an option and not a requirement of the position.
A variety of professional career paths will be available to the successful candidate. Hart Crowser will provide career development training throughout the employment of the successful candidate.
Key Responsibilities, Duties, and Personal Attributes
- Strong commitment to safety, quality, and following established protocols.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including field report writing.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible and changing schedules including; potential overtime, overnight travel, and occasional weekends; and a willingness to travel daily within the region.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and rough terrain.
- BS or MS degree in geology or similar field.
- Performing field sampling of diverse media.
- Maintenance and calibration of technical instruments.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Prior experience with GPS and data management.
- State drivers’ license with a good driving record.
- An ability and interest in obtaining pertinent licensing and certifications.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER training (requirement for the position once started).
- Prior consulting experience, including work for or on Oregon DEQ-related sites.
- Experience with diverse sampling media, including soil, groundwater, surface water, soil vapor, indoor air, and sediment sampling.
- Familiarity with local geology.
- Familiarity with the principals of fate and transport of contaminants.
- Experience with statistical analysis and chemistry.
- Knowledge and hands-on skills with Geographic Information Systems.
- A desire to support business development and revenue generation efforts. Interest in identifying and pursuing new clients and project opportunities.
- Boat operations (not a requirement, but would be valuable if interested)
- Prior experience with powerboat operation, including inclement weather conditions.
- Washington or Oregon state boating license or a US Coast Guard OUPV captain’s license.
- Familiarity with regional navigable waters.
- Experience with unmanned aerial vehicles.