Advanced Hospice is seeking caring nurses for our Hospice House.
Job Description Summary: The Hospice House RN is responsible for the provision and coordination of care for the hospice patient, including their family and caregiver(s). They primarily provide nursing care to patients residing in the Hospice House, but may occasionally provide nursing care to patients residing outside of the Hospice House, under the directions of a Clinical Manager and under the physician’s orders. Care is provided in collaboration with other interdisciplinary group members as described in the patients’ plan of care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively participates in coordination of all aspects of patient’s care, in accordance with current professional standards and practice
- Participates in admission, discharge planning, and ongoing patient assessments
- Responsible for developing, evaluating and adjusting the patient’s plan of care as indicated
- Contributes to patient and family counseling and education
- Collaborates with physicians and staff regarding patients’ changing condition
- Oversees licensed nurses and aides in the delivery of patient care
- Performs administrative functions relating to clinical records, care plans, QAPI, safety, infection control and mandatory abuse reporting requirements
- Provides support to patients/families regarding patient care services
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a safe environment for patients/families, and a safe working environment for self and coworkers
- Participates in Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement (QAPI) program and Hospice sponsored in-service
- Fulfills duties of the Hospice Aide when necessary, including food preparation, requiring the completion of an ANSI/ASTM-2659 Food Handlers course.
- Adheres to Hospice House patient care protocols in responding to patient’s concerns
- Orders rental equipment and is responsible for the documentation for DME provided to each patient per Hospice policy
- Maintains communication with the patient’s physician(s) as needed for medical authorizations, pain and symptom management, changes to the plan of care and other exchanges of information
- Consults/coordinates with Hospice Clinical Manager for and plan of care assistance and level of care changes
- Informs family, physicians, staff, volunteers, and agencies regarding patient’s death
- Other duties, including, but not limited to: on-call or triage nurse weeknights, weekends, or holidays. When acting as an on-call nurse, assesses all patient and family calls in accordance with on-call procedures and make home visits to those whose issues cannot be satisfactorily handled by telephone
- 12 hour shifts starting at 7:00 am to 7:00 pm and 7:00 pm to 7:00 am.
- This position must be able to work at least three 12-hour weekend shifts (Friday and/or Saturday NOC Saturday and/or Sunday DAYS) each month.
Compliance and Quality Improvement:
The Hospice House Nurse plays an important role in the agency’s compliance with state and federal regulations and quality assurance and performance improvement. He or she must understand and comply with the Medicare Conditions of Participation and all Hospice House Policies and Procedures. Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Operating within his or her scope of practice, and ensuring that all services are provided consistent with best practices for hospice and palliative care.
- Recognizing and reporting any potential misconduct or violation of Hospice House policies, compliance standards, and federal or state laws and regulations.
- Recognizing and reporting any suspected violations of the patient’s rights.
- Understanding and complying with Hospice House Standards of Conduct.
- Understanding and complying with all HIPPA requirements, in accordance with the Hospice House Policy and Procedures.