Department: Animal Care Center
Supervisor: Hospital Manager
FLSA Status: Full Time, Regular, Non-Exempt
Starting Pay Rate: $25.33/hour
Application Submission Deadline: 9/30/2023
Under the direction of the Hospital Manager and Director of Veterinary Services, the Certified Veterinary Technician in this position is responsible for performing veterinary technician duties. Technical duties shall include, but are not limited to assistance with laboratory, surgical, and emergency and critical care procedures. This is a teaching facility and the individual in this position will be expected to work closely with veterinary interns and externs on a regular basis. This individual would join a team with 2 full time veterinarians, a veterinary intern, 2 veterinary technicians and a hospital keeper.
- Provide quality guest service to both internal and external guests by maintaining a WILD (friendly, helpful, positive and professional) working attitude and appearance.
- Assist with timely preparation, execution, and clean-up of all procedures including surgery, dentistry, digital radiography, endoscopy, and necropsy; assist with all aspects of anesthesia including intubation, anesthetic monitoring, anesthetic adjustment, and use of ventilators.
- Provide direct assistance with patient care as specifically requested by veterinarians in a variety of species and communicating of medical information to Zoo staff as required; assist with maintenance and improvement of medical screening and treatment protocols for animal collection.
- Perform clinical pathology of all species including in-house laboratory tests such as urinalysis, CBCs, cytology, fecal parasite exams, microbiology and preparation of samples for outside laboratories when required.
- Perform routine husbandry duties of Hospital Keeper when needed. Observe, assess, and accurately record changes in a patient’s medical condition and behavior.
- Perform routine hospital maintenance that includes cleaning and maintaining hospital and equipment to ensure proper working condition, with timely reporting of equipment or facility problems; ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards, including demonstrated knowledge of sterile procedures.
- Assist with ordering and stocking of supplies, billing, and inventory management (including controlled and non-controlled drugs).
- Assist with various administrative tasks, records, lab results, data entries, filing, etc.
- Assist in education of interns and visiting externs to promote a continued learning environment.
- May be required to perform miscellaneous job duties as assigned.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments.)