The Post and Courier, South Carolina’s statewide leader in award-winning news coverage, is seeking energetic reporters to fill roles on a quick-response metro team. We are looking for journalists who will embrace our approach to insightful, enterprising coverage.
The positions are based in Charleston, a gem on the list of America’s best places to live. Reporters will find opportunities in a Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom to do some of the best work of their career, limited only by their ambition and curiosity.
You are a strong candidate for these positions if you know how to break news on a beat, can write with flair and authority and will bring urgency when assigned to a breaking story, along with creative know-how to develop smart, quick-turn enterprise angles in those moments.
Reporters in these roles will be assigned to beats covering cities in Charleston’s metro area, concentrating on those beats for most of their work week. You also will be assigned to at least one general breaking news shift per week. Our philosophy with breaking news is that we don’t aim to cover everything that moves. Instead we concentrate on jumping on key breaking stories – and owning those with urgency and ambition.
We value a narrative storytelling approach, when appropriate, to in-depth reporting. You’ll get a chance to grow in your craft as a writer and reporter, whether you are a veteran journalist or someone just launching your career.
The Post and Courier is an independent, family owned newspaper that values its relationship with readers, believing in the idea that investing in journalism will lead to more readers and a sustainable business. We have opened newsrooms throughout the state since 2020, seeking to fill a void in news deserts and areas where local news coverage has dramatically shrunk.
- Produce story ideas from the assigned beat or from conversations with sources and other members of the community.
- Write solidly researched stories that are clear and concise, using words, sentence construction and organizational format that aid clarity. Complement stories with supporting documents.
- Actively manage social media accounts, posting and/or uploading several times each work day regarding the community, actively engaging the community members.
- Develop and maintain photo and digital skills
- Produce work that is accurate in fact, tone and implication. Understands libel law and the rules governing plagiarism.
- Effectively learn and use all job technology and systems.
- Learn and follow all department and company policies and procedures.
- Meet all assigned deadlines.
- Develop a list of knowledgeable, diverse sources.
- Other duties as assigned