The Birmingham Zoo recognizes that skills and knowledge come from both formal and informal experiences including education, paid work, volunteer service, and life experience. Those who meet the majority of the requirements for a position are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelors degree in a relevant biological field preferred.
- Experience in a zoological institution, experience with elephants preferred.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication as well as decision skills; have high energy and enthusiasm for completion of tasks; possess team building skills; and has the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must have ability to foster teamwork within and across teams.
- Competency in computer skills.
- Must have a current valid drivers license with no prior traffic violations (within the last five years).
- Must have current negative TB test and provide documentation, or be willing to have a TB test.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and be able to provide proof of vaccination on the first day of employment.
POSITION TYPE AND HOURS OF WORK
- Full time
- Schedule varies between weekdays and weekends. Weekend work required as well as occasional evening work and holidays.
Birmingham Zoo is dedicated to creating a global community where all people value wildlife and wild places. As a workplace, the Zoo is guided by its core values: Passion, Excellence, Teamwork, Sustainability, and Diversity & Inclusion. Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, neurodiverse individuals, and those with diverse lived experiences are encouraged to apply for this role.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and functions of this position.
Birmingham Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If selected, a background check and drug test will be conducted prior to beginning employment.
Birmingham Zoo Inc. is a not-for-profit entity. The rate of pay is $15.60/hour.