The Learning Specialist will work closely with classroom teachers, families, and students to support the student through a highly communicative team that endeavors to support the student in becoming an independent learner. As a member of the Resource Department, the Learning Specialist will address the academic needs of St. Mary students who may struggle with literacy, math, and/or executive functions.
The Learning Specialist is expected to abide by the policies and procedures of the local school, the Archdiocese of Denver, and the Office of Catholic Schools. The Learning Specialist cooperates with the principal and staff in providing an environment that promotes the ministry of Catholic education.
The learning specialist will:
- Provide direct literacy instruction and remediation using Orton-Gillingham based methods
- Provide whole class instruction to foster the use of Orton-Gillingham based methods in the classroom
- Teach and provide grades to one 4th grade math class
- Assist students who require accommodations such as extended time on tests, assistance organizing and chunking lengthy assignments, assistance managing planners, etc.
Other duties will include but are not limited to:
- Teach and act in accordance with doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church;
- Know, teach, and act consistently in accordance with the mission, philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of St. Mary Catholic School;
- Provide grade appropriate instructional program following the curriculum of the
Archdiocese of Denver, including lesson planning, classroom preparation, and
assessment of each student’s performance;
- Provide grade appropriate extended or enrichment opportunities;
- Maintain state licensure;
- Communicate regularly with parents/guardians, colleagues, and principal;
- Participate in all Archdiocese of Denver in-service and training programs, and participate in all local school sponsored professional development and training programs and initiatives unless exempted or excused by principal;
- Attend all required faculty and staff meetings, unless exempted or excused by principal;
- Cooperate with the principal and staff members in school related meetings, activities, and projects;
- Maintain accurate student attendance and academic records in accordance with local school policies and procedures;
- Maintain a safe, orderly, and secure learning and work environment;
- Participate in annual performance review based upon the implementation of the essential duties of the Elementary School Teacher;
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding school personnel, students, and general school matters.
- Follows established procedures to ensure the safety and welfare of students.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion regarding school and classroom matters;
- Perform teaching duties and all other duties as assigned by the school principal