Title: Volunteer Firefighter
Selection: Completion of application process and approval
Reports to: Captain or assigned mentor
Positions Supervised: None.
Rank Designation: Silver FD
Work Schedule 12-hour pre-scheduled shifts
1. Perform all duties assigned by Captain or Superior Officer.
2. A firefighter shall execute fire suppression and rescue tasks with a high degree of proficiency.
3. A firefighter shall execute vehicle extrication tasks with a high degree of proficiency.
4. A firefighter shall execute EMS BLS First response skills and functions with a high degree of proficiency
5. Follow the departmental professional development program and prepare themselves to promote to Driver Operator.
6. Knowledge of streets and routes within the Town and surrounding areas to ensure expedi tious response times.
7. Conduct routine care and maintenance of Fire Department apparatus, assuring for operational readiness in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
8. Maintain daily inspection and maintenance records of assigned Fire Department apparatus.
9. Recognize and promptly report safety or mechanical problems immediately to a higher ranking officer.
10. Perform daily apparatus inventory of fire, rescue, and EMS equipment and supplies of assigned Fire Department apparatus; Reporting missing or damaged equipment immediately to a higher ranking officer.
11. Be knowledgeable of and follow the Fire Department Standard Operating Guidelines, policies, and procedures.
12. Participate in fire prevention, fire protection systems inspections, fire safety education presentations and pre-fire planning as required.
13. Participate in Fire Department and company level training activities as directed.
14. Must possess a thorough knowledge and proficiency in computers, MS Office, automated fire reports software and be able to communicate effectively using the same.
15. Complete all routine paperwork and reports in a correct and timely manner.
16. Receive and execute routine assignments, special projects or programs, and orders as directed by a higher-ranking officer.
17. At the direction of, or in the absence of, a higher-ranking officer, assume the responsibilities, activities, and duties of a higher rank until relieved, especially Driver Operator.
18. Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
19. Be courteous, professional, and helpful in their relations with fellow firefighters, the public, and with superior officers.
20. See that all visitors are greeted courteously and that no stranger be permitted to go about the station unescorted.
21. Welcome new personnel into the station. Introduce new members to station personnel and assist the new personnel in becoming integrated into the station/department, and productive member of the team.
22. Ensure fire stations and department facilities are maintained in a clean, neat, and orderly manner.
23. Maintain personal fitness levels adequate to execute the essential job functions.
Absence from Duty:
Notify the on-duty Captain, District Chief or Assistant Chief of any condition that may cause him/her to be absent or unable to perform these duties.