POSITION TITLE: Marine Biologist
REPORTS TO: Senior Team Lead
EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT: Non-exempt
PERCENTAGE OF FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT: Part time
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The ability to climb stairs, lift 50 lbs., pull nets and drive CMA vehicles, work in extreme weather conditions (heat, humidity, cold), and be comfortable working on a boat.
- Conduct eco-boat tours and participate in fish population inventories and data collection.
- Conduct marine science based programs to school groups and other groups interested in marine life and the environment.
- Develop and implement marine science and environmental educational programs and curriculum.
- Assist with organizing community outreach events as needed.
- Engage in special events held at the Aquarium and specialized boat tours.
- Assist with research & monitoring projects in the field as needed.
- Perform other duties relating to the organizations goals and mission as required.
SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Narrate eco-boat tours and collect data.
- Present on-site marine science based programs to groups.
- Conduct off-site presentations and programs.
- Conduct kayak programs as scheduled.
- Assist with custom broadcasts and distance learning programs.
- Attend off-site festival events and assist with community outreach event preparation.
- Conduct marine science based educational programs (i.e. sleepovers, seasonal camps, and other special programs).
- Participate in curriculum development and program development.
- Assist with the care and maintenance of the Animal Ambassadors.
- Assist with research projects in the field, data entry and other CMARI projects as assigned.
- Monitor equipment and notify supervisors of any issues.
- Maintain equipment and supplies in good working order.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as assigned.
- College degree in Life or Environmental Sciences, Biology, Marine Science, Zoology, Environmental Public Policy, Conservation or related major preferred.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, or Prezi, virtual learning content development.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including interpersonal skills, working well independently and with teams.
- Demonstrate strong organization and time management skills to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines; analytical and organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Valid Florida Driver License
- Experience working with the public in a formal or informal learning setting (i.e. zoo, aquarium, museum, science center or classroom)
- Knowledge of Florida ecosystems and wildlife.
- Experience with public presentations and excellent public interactions skills.
- Experience with various types of presentation equipment.
- GIS experience a plus.
The Clearwater Marine Aquarium reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.